Worst Bike Accident You Ever Had?

Starling

I was learning to ride at around 10 or 11, it's hard to remember exactly. We were practicing at the elementary school behind our house. School was out, so the parking lot was empty except for this huge chain attached to two posts that was meant to block cars from entering the lot.

Well, I was riding just fine. My mom was there to make sure I wouldn't fall. I had this crazy idea that I could be some sort of biker extraordinare by ducking under the chain without falling over. What a horrible idea!

The moment my mom looked away was the moment I zoomed towards the chain tryin to duck beneath it. Yeah, I have no sense of perception. There was no way I could get underneath it since it was level with my chest.

I zoomed, my neck hit the chain and I quite literally flipped over the chain and on my back right beside my bike.

Talk about pain.

BCBabe

That would probably be head-on with another cyclist that I had (I was 8 or 9, I'd guess).... it launched me into the air, and I came down on pavement face-first, and then slid on my hands and knees.

It cost me half of one of my front teeth, and I sported a very bruised face for a few weeks. I was lucky that the broken tooth survived, and was delighted to discover that technology had come far enough to have it "fixed" when I was 16 (the tooth isn't capped).

jason

fear no beer
I guess I had two. One I hit another person on a bike head on, or close to it. Knocked me out for a while. The second I slid down a hill thanks to some ice, and scraped a huge patch of skin off.

Barney

OK I've got a big one. I was trying to stand on the seat while in highest gear and fell down so hard that I almost lost consciousness. I was 13 at the time so I guess it's understandable attempting such stupid stuff.

Starling

Ouch! I knew I was gonna regret making this thread just imagining all the injuries! It was by sheer luck that I myself didn't go to the hospital after that stunt with the chain, but you don't know pain until you've been flipped off a bike, that's for sure.

Jade

I've been in a few toboggan accidents that rival bike accidents for the pain and suffering and injuries; in hindsight, it's amazing more of us weren't seriously hurt.

Bobby

The worst for me was one summer day riding in my neighborhood. Some dude had been mowing, and aimed the discharge chute out into the street. I came around the corner, hit the loose grass clippings in the street, and went down hard. Concussion, two broken ribs, and a few nights in the hospital.

BCBabe

I have to agree with Jade: I've seen a few tobogganing accidents that rival bike accidents for injuries; just because there's snow on the ground to "pad" your landing doesn't ensure you won't get hurt.

Watching a classmate get "launched" off of an inner tube while 'sledding' was horrific: she went sideways, airborne, about 10 feet, and smack into a tree.

Blood on snow isn't a pretty site.

ChadTower

Worst for me was when I was about 16. I was crossing a sidestreet and a car came ripping blindly around the corner. It clipped my back wheel and sent me flying. I am not even sure I remember it. I remember waking up on the pavement after who knows how long. My back wheel was twisted up but I didn't even notice that. I was about 500 yards from home so I just walked it home and discovered my head covered in blood when I went to wash up. No long term effects that I know of probably just a concussion and a lot of scrapes/cuts.

Saw one of my friends get into a couple nasty incidents. One time he went to ride through an opening in a fence and someone had strung fishing line across it. He caught the line across his neck/shoulder and you can guess the results. Looking back I'm surprised he didn't slice his throat open. We never proved who did it but everyone suspected the old woman whose front door was right there and who always yelled at us to stop playing near her door (it was a dense apt project - what she wanted was impossible).

Another time, with the same kid, at the top of about 5 stories of concrete steps. I ride my bike down and make it. He rides his bike down and slips off the seat onto the crossbar on the first set. He spends the successive 15 flights of stairs with his stuff banging on the crossbar screaming like something out of a horror movie. No injuries but a whole lot of ice and crying and walking funny for a while.

Looking back, with all of the stupid things I used to do on my bike, I was either very very talented or very very lucky. Most likely some of both.

Navigator

My favorite bike crash didn't draw a drop of blood. I was riding fast down a short incline and my hand grip hit a tree trunk, I went over the handle bars and ended up on my feet standing next to my bike. So there I was in the middle of the woods laughing like a lunatic!

Geordie

Playing "Evel Knievel" off the back of a goose-neck hay trailer on my friends new bike had me go over the handlebars and kiss the floor of the barn. It knocked me cold, and put my teeth through my upper lip.

Apparently my little friend went screeching back to the farmhouse, "Mom, Dad, Geordie's DEAD!!!"; all I remember is waking up with a headache and a very sore face to some very concerned faces hovering over me.

Susie

I was riding along a wide curb. There was a "seam" in the curb that was uneven. My tire caught that uneven seam, and I got dumped right over. My head (which had a helmet on) hit the concrete first! Thank goodness for my helmet!

Sunshine

Mine was when I was 12 and I was riding on my brand new racing bike 10 speed. I had improperly switched gears and the chain slipped causing me to lose control of the bike and hit a telephone pole. I flipped over the handle bars.

I would have been OK, EXCEPT, for the broken coke bottle on the side walk. My leg grazed the bottle and I wound up with over fifty stitches in a laceration which cut all the way to the muscle. It didn't hurt at all, but I was horrified when I looked down and saw it!

sherbearski

My worst bicycle accident happened just last year. I usually stay on the paved bicycle paths, but my hubby convinced me to try an "easy" off road path. On my way down, it was a bit steeper than I remembered it going up. I became fearful and was going to get off my bike and walk it down but, against my better judgement, I let my hubby talk me into riding down. I began picking up speed quickly, and came to a bunch of protruding large rocks, despite knowing not to slam on my brakes hard, I did, and next thing I knew I was flying over my handle bars and doing a body slide down the hill over rocks and gravel. I was very, very lucky that I didn't break any bones. I had quite a few scrapes and bruises, and my arm was swollen and scraped up pretty bad, but I was still ALIVE! I will stick to paved bike paths for now on. I'm a much better hiker. lol