a few trips since then 3-4 days or so each
latest trip was a 5 mile hike with my 8 yr old son,
was more of a test run to see how he holds up on such distance,
as looking to do more distance camping with him, not just car camping
he did great and will be doing more shortly
till then will check in here and there
trying to load pics but server error tells me files to large

Cappy

Yes I get that message too ya have to edit your pics and down size them to load them. Also a flicker account works and we write our blog so we copy pictures from theere. Most folks use accounts like flicker or shutter something etc

In the mean time welcome back!! Things re slow here now the winter blues and all and sadly facebook takes away folks from forums:(

ppine

Forester
Terasec,
Wonderful that you got your shorty out on a hike like that. Car camping with day hikes gets them ready for overnight. We grew up in it. My Dad taught me to backpack. His Dad taught him . We were doing overnight trips without adults by the time were about 13-14 years old.

Terasec

Terasec,
Wonderful that you got your shorty out on a hike like that. Car camping with day hikes gets them ready for overnight. We grew up in it. My Dad taught me to backpack. His Dad taught him . We were doing overnight trips without adults by the time were about 13-14 years old.
cant say I did such trips at that age
but close
in mid teens 15-17 I was hopping buses from NYC to catskills camping by myself,
didn't have maps of lands and such, would look at the map in the bus terminal with routes,
see a route that passes through a bunch of green , that's where I want to go,
I would ask drivers if they were passing any trails and they would drop me off on the side of the road,
to get back as long as I had bus schedule you could waive down the bus and they would pick you up anywhere, extra fee for not having a ticket in hand,
no maps, no fancy gear, just a school bag, some basic gear, food from home , extra clothes, tent from lamstons, that was all I needed
whether my son pursues such himself I don't know, but would at least like him to have the knowledge to do so if he chooses.