The Art of Getting Lost

Northern Dancer

Another one...

North Shore Rescue says a man in his mid-forties who got stuck in a hard-to-reach area after wanting to spend some quiet time in nature was lucky to be found after he called on a cellphone with a nearly dead battery.

This is what he did wrong...

He didn't seem to have the slightest idea what "essential equipment" was.
He took a bus to the location
he wanted to hike to.
He stayed in the area Monday and Tuesday, but he woke up soaking wet after a rainy Wednesday night.
When he crossed a creek sometime on Wednesday he lost his footwear so he was barefoot.
Now soaking wet he had no way of getting out of the creek area.
His equipment consisted of a small flimsy sleeping bag.
A bit of food.
He was not in any condition
to make any progress to get out of where he was.
On top of it all, he didn't tell anyone where he was going or the day he was returning.

Thanks to a sophisticated drone designed for search and rescue the man was found.

Play safe, think safe, and be prepared.

Roybrew

Glad they found him. I would sure hate to walk up on some dead person, if I was out hiking. That would sure ruin a hiking trip.

Northern Dancer

I've been lost three times. The one time was frightening but I managed to pull my senses figuring it all out and got back to base without spending a night or two in the wilderness. There is nothing like getting lost to help you remember what an instructor said.

Here are some basics that will help save your life.

Don't say to yourself, "I should have been prepared."
There's no point in "shoulding" on yourself.
But, in the future - BE PREPARED.
Your self-conversation must be as positive as possible.
The moment you realize you're lost, stop moving. The best course of action is to stay put if you are in a safe place.
Panic and wandering can make it harder for search teams to locate you and it could be dangerous.
Use the "Hug a Tree" program idea. Look it up - though simple it works.
Use a proper whistle to alert others.
[Use a good whistle, don't buy a toy whistle, use a recommended wilderness one.]
Wear bright clothes. A waving orange T-shirt is more readily seen than a black one.
[Rember dark colour clothing and red bring blood-sucking insects.]
It doesn't hurt to carry a small pack with essentials - a jacket,
food items like high-energy bars, tablets for purifying water, a toque to keep your head warm,
insect repellant, a headlamp, and any medications.
Stay hydrated and warm to avoid hypothermia.

I can't stress enough to tell people where you are going, why, and when you are coming back.
People have been known to get lost when they step off the trail to relieve themselves.

A REMINDER TO YOUNG PEOPLE [and adults too.]
When you hear rescue people yell and scream like crazy.
You may have embarrassed yourself by getting lost but never never let that stop you from calling out for help.
There have been several situations where people have deliberately failed to communicate with rescue crews
and have paid the price.
Remember, a cell phone does not replace survival items and good sense.

History of Hug A Tree and Survive Program
On a Saturday in February of 1981, three brothers were together on Palomar Mountain, 60 miles northeast of San Diego. They were walking on a popular nature trail a half-mile from the camp where their parents were preparing lunch. Two of the brothers believed that the nine-year-old was racing them back to camp, but Jimmy Beveridge never arrived. The family spent one hour searching on their own before contacting a Park Ranger who in turn contacted the Sheriff's Office.

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT
----->

West Valley Search and Rescue
Phone: (909) 201-2982 (Voice Mail)
Mailing Address: West Valley Search and Rescue
8780 19th St, PMB 475

Alta Loma, CA 91701
westvalleysar@sbsar.org

jason

fear no beer
I've spent more time in a swamp than I meant to at work sometimes. Usually when they are overgrown around the first 10 to 15 feet and then open up. If it's a new swamp and I didn't bring flagging, it can take a while to find out. I keep joking saying they will have to have our helicopter fly over and find me. But you get to see some areas that have some great views or you may find something interesting.

Attachments

Northern Dancer

I've spent more time in a swamp than I meant to at work sometimes. Usually when they are overgrown around the first 10 to 15 feet and then open up. If it's a new swamp and I didn't bring flagging, it can take a while to find out. I keep joking saying they will have to have our helicopter fly over and find me. But you get to see some areas that have some great views or you may find something interesting.
----->That machine alone is enough to scare me.

In this neck of the woods they tend to use drones more and more, then send out the helicopter.

Northern Dancer

I found this horseshoe riveted into a tree root.
The site that it's located is a canoe site and not a road anywhere.
Behind every gismo and gadget, there is a story.