Brand names not always the Best names.

Northern Dancer

Hello Everyone.
I do hope you are enjoying the summer, though the advertising market is talking about "back to school" and the like.
Remember camping in all its many forms is always in season.

I have a friend who called me the other day and ranted about the purchase of a high-item brand-name tent and pack he purchased. He was astounded that both pieces of equipment were, as he put it, "Absolute Junk". [Actually, he used more colorful adjectives.] He went on and on about how things leaked, didn't fit properly, and even fell apart. First time out and off the shelf, never been used, and both were total failures.

"Why don't you return them?" I said. He couldn't. Because they were "final" sale items.

I've long been aware large companies spend more money on "positioning their products" than on improving quality. I purchased a very popular winter coat that stores couldn't keep enough on the racks. A year later you could go to a Value Village and pay a pittance as compared to the original price. Good looking, stylish but freezing cold. Nothing like the company said they would be in the dead of winter. Like, I mean nothing.

So who believes and buys expensive items because they believe they are buying the best? Not the experienced. The experienced person has a need to fill and check out equipment extensively with specific criticism, and scrutiny. They tend not to buy on the spot, or as they refer to it, impulse buying, and are careful what and why they buy, and check out"independent consumer's reports". I recommend you take a friend or two when you are checking things out.

I've found this situation on places like Amazon site. They have a tent costing 423.95 for example. You check further down the page and you find the same tent under a different name and the cost. $2,300.99 plus shipping, handling, and taxes to be added. Something is wrong. Not really. If you are willing to pay for it the company is more than happy to sell it to you.

Buy from reputable dealers.
Check out the "returned items" policy and be careful that you don't throw away the "original" packaging.
Test the equipment before you use it "in the field.
Use your head rather than your checkbook to make purchases.
Don't buy on impulse.
Have a sound rationale as to why you are making the purchase.
Drop the word "best" when thinking about purchasing.
I've noticed people posting "best" equipment sites seem to list the same companies all the time.
Noting is said about other companies who have tried and tested gear.
Why is that?
Think more in terms of functionality, durability, and practical application, and don't be enthralled by a logo.
Who makes the product and what country does it come from?

Having shared all that tell us about your nightmare experience with bad [but always good-looking] equipment that you have had.

Last edited:

Roybrew

Let's see,.. I was very disappointed with my Thermorest pillow. It was clumpy feeling. I ended up gutting it and restuffing with polyfill.

I don't normally buy expensive brand name items. If I do I read about them ahead of time, and try to ascertain if it's worth it.

One thing I purchased that didn't quite work out as I expected, but I don't regret buying is the Helinox chair.Compress_20240819_194217_7633.jpg
That's been 9 years ago and it is holding up great. The thing I didn't like was how the feet will sink in the soft ground. I am pushing its weight limit tho.... I'm not going to go into detail on that. Ugh old fat man.

I did purchase a kelty 12 x 12 tarp that I'm looking forward to using.

Camping date set for next month.

Roy

Northern Dancer

Let's see,.. I was very disappointed with my Thermorest pillow. It was clumpy feeling. I ended up gutting it and restuffing with polyfill.

I don't normally buy expensive brand name items. If I do I read about them ahead of time, and try to ascertain if it's worth it.

One thing I purchased that didn't quite work out as I expected, but I don't regret buying is the Helinox chair.View attachment 4479
That's been 9 years ago and it is holding up great. The thing I didn't like was how the feet will sink in the soft ground. I am pushing its weight limit tho.... I'm not going to go into detail on that. Ugh old fat man.

Roy
-----> I remembered you putting "slippers" on the ends to prevent the legs from going into the ground. That was a great idea. Woods have a skirt that fits on the ground to prevent the legs from going into the snow or earth. I picked up a chair that has a high back. I like the extra support for the back when I'm lounging around the fire.

Good to hear you are getting out. My next adventure begins this Sunday; I'll be away at Lake Huron for a week.

Last edited:

Northern Dancer

One thing I purchased that didn't quite work out as I expected, but I don't regret buying is the Helinox chair.View attachment 4479

Roy
Who is your creature guy?

Roybrew

I'll be away at Lake Huron for a week.
Isn't Lake Huron the Lake of a thousand islands? Sounds like fun, and it should start to be a little cooler outside up there.

The stuffed otter is Cheoah. He loves traveling and loves being on the water. He doesn't like to get wet tho, dry land otter only. He's been on Delta Queen River boat when it was docked in Chattanooga.
He was looking out our cabin window0312121619b.jpg
Etowah Indian mounds with St Louis in the back ground559.jpg
Lincoln Memorial Washington DC
0314111751a.jpg

Hey what happened to your Bear?

Northern Dancer

"Baden-Bear?" Yep, I still have him and when I think it's safe I take him along on trips.

It is becoming unseasonably cooler in this neck of the woods. The furnace has come on in the evening and I've had to wear a jacket several times when I've been out. Since I will be tenting on high ground close to the Lake I'll be taking my buddy heater just in case. And, unlike last year, I'm packing a winter coat.

Lake Huron {Photos attached to the article.]

4487 4488 4489

Lake Huron (/ˈhjʊərɒn, -ən/ HURE-on, -⁠ən) is one of the five Great Lakes of North America. It is shared on the north and east by the Canadian province of Ontario and on the south and west by the U.S. state of Michigan. Cities with over 10,000 people on Lake Huron include Sarnia, the largest city on Lake Huron, and Saugeen Shores in Canada, and Bay City, Port Huron, and Alpena in the United States.