Camping near the lake

enzo

Is it safe to camp near the lake? I've watched Lake Placid before, wondering if an alligator would appear before us while we're already on the campground site. This would be our first family camping experience at the lake, but I'm open to suggestions on where should be the safest camping ground to camp on.

failghe

I have never had any problems with gators. They usually try to stay away from us. Be sure to lock the coolers, or put food in the car. Animals like squirrels, raccoons, bears, and such will try to get to the food if they can smell it. Also don't keep the garbage close by the the campsite.

smore

I go camping on the lake all summer long. There are no gators in the lake I go to, so have never worried about it.
One time there was a porcupine and it got someones dog! Poor dog. They had to rush him to the emergency vet hospital.

jason

fear no beer
I would not bring a small dog or child with me. Other then that I would have no problem with it. Don't cook close to the water and keep trash/food on the other side of the camp.