Cast Iron Pot for Stew

Zelda

I like to make pot roasts and other slow cooked meats when camping. Throw in some carrots and potatoes, and you have a whole meal. I have been using a pot from my kitchen, but it only works because we have not been camping much. Now that we are going camping more (or will be in the summer) I want a really good cast iron pot for stews and roast beef. Where do you buy them; I couldn't find any at the local Wal-Mart.

KeikoOka

I am surprised that your local Walmart didn't have cast iron cookware. You could order them online if you wanted to or try your local camping supply/outdoors store.

Grandpa

Lodge and Camp Chef make the best cast iron cookware. They are readily available around here. Sporting goods, farm and ranch, even the big box stores should carry them.

Geezer

Zelda, Walmart does carry them. They carry Stansport and Lodge. If your local store does not have them, you can order them online and they'll ship it to your store so you won't have to pay any shipping charge.

ppine

Forester
Agreed. Look for Dutch ovens that aren't made in China. Asian ones are cheap castings that tend to crack and don't fit very well. A true Dutch has three legs, and a flat top with a rim for holding coals. People are always amazed at their first viewing of Dutch cooking. "I didn't know you could put coals on the top", they always say.

A 12 inch deep is probably the first one to buy.

carmen

Good cast iron is hard to find these days, I might need to check out a few of these places. I remember when we got married the only thing we asked for was cast iron cookware, no one loved us enough to get any!

ppine

Forester
Carmen,

Share the love of the people on this forum who want nothing more than for you to be happy and a great outdoor cook.

Made a venison stew yesterday with round steak. Used lots of different vegetables especially onions, garlic, carrots, spuds, with Worchestire sauce, liquid smoke, tabasco, and oregano. It could be the best yet.

Last edited:

jason

fear no beer
I like Lodge, but if I can pick up Wagner (no longer in production) I will go for it. I've had limited success at yard sales, and a little better at flea markets. Flea markets I end up paying more then yard sales. Cast iron seems to go quick at yard sales. Either way most pieces I pick up need a good cleaning and re-seasoning.

As far as Lodge, I think Kohl's will sell it. I've found it at Ross or Bells Outlet a few times. But your normal outdoor places like Bass Pro and Gander always have it like others have mentioned. For online, amazon has just about everything.

My brother says he sees it at civil war re-enactments all the time too.

Zelda

Thanks for the tips. I guess my big city Wal-Mart is too good to keep that sort of thing properly stocked. I am going to go to the website and have it shipped to the store. Thanks so much for all of the advice!

briansnat

Platnium Member
If really want the best, look for Le Creuset enameled cast-iron. It ain't cheap, but sometimes you can find it on closeout at a place like Home Goods at about half its list price.