Chili was a bust

Fox38

We made a big pot of chili for our camping trip this weekend and it was awful! I don't know what we did. What do you do if something that you makes is a total bust at camp?

Stoker

Feed it to your camping neighbors! LOL I always like to bring a little extra food with me just in case something like this happens. That always goes in the "you never know" bag.

HappyFeet

If I didn't like it then I wouldn't share it to other people. I would just bury it and have to go with the reserve food. This is the reason why I take some chips so that I won't forage when this problem happens to my food.

hummingbird

We use the chili beans and extra chili powder to season our chili. I don't even fry the hamburger and onions before I mix it all together. It's just an easy and quick way to make chili. I usually just throw stuff away in the trash cans at the camp grounds if I'm there or bury it if I'm not.

campmaster

The key to Chili is "Less is More" If too much chili powder is used it will make the dish bitter, same goes with cumin.

Pre-cooking ground beef or sausage is a must. Stew meat can be added and simmered for a nice change. Vegetables can be simmered right in the chili too.

If you are adding canned beans, drain them and add them during the last 30 minutes or so before serving.

My favorite is a Chili Cornbread Bake.

Dan

deb60

I'm in the chili mood now. I never make and take chili with me camping, although it is something I would love. If I did take it with me I would have it all together before we went. I would just have to plug it in when we got there.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Let me get this straight. You made the chili before you went? You didn't taste it and you took it with you for a meal. WOW!

I don't want to insult you by calling you a moron, but I'd be willing to bet you don't make that mistake again.

hydethebeef

I never use a recipe when I make chili so it never tastes the same each time. One time I made the best chili anyone had ever tasted. To bad I did not know how I did it and never did it again!

Fox38

Wow, you called me a moron? Serious? I make the same chili all the time and no I didn't try it. It was the same recipe, all I can think is the canned tomatoes were bad.
I love the idea of feeding it to my neighbors.

foxylady

I always taste mine as I am cooking it in case I didn't add enough of something. I would never take something that I hadn't tasted because you just never know. My mom makes fudge from the same recipe every time too-sometimes it comes out and sometimes it doesn't.