Downsizing

hikingprincess

We have several tents that sleep 4-6 and they are all about the same quality. We even have one that has yet to be used by us. My brother who is a boyscout borrowed it once though. I think we are going to get rid of it since it has been in the shed for several years and is still pretty much brand new. How often to you weed out the camping equipment?

Grandpa

Whenever I see something newer and better, the grandkids get a new piece of equipment.

Bojib

Usually, it seems like I get rid of a few things at least once a year.

It seems like I always pick up a thing or two while out and about doing some shopping in stores or at the flea market (or online surfing some camping shop sites). Sometimes the things are actually useful, and sometimes they aren't.

I keep track as best I can at the things I didn't get much use out of, or didn't work as advertised. Then in the spring to keep from packing too much, I get rid of those items.

I think it's a never ending process, because there is always that good buy on something, and I'll pick it up, and wind up selling later if it doesn't see much use.

Lovefall

We actually just took 2 tents and some camping dishes to goodwill and donated them. We had too many just like you do. If you don't use it for over a year, you don't need it.

Newanderthal

If I don't have a use for it, it gets sold or donated.
1 two person tent (girlfriend and I)
1 solo tarp shelter

all others are gone.

briansnat

Platnium Member
If getting a new piece of equipment means that I'll never use the old one again, then I either give it away or sell it on Craigslist.

If getting a new piece of equipment fills a niche and the old piece still fills another niche then I'll keep the old one. For instance when I decided to buy a lighter backpacking tent I kept my old backpacking tent because it's better in the winter than my newer, lighter tent.

On the other hand, when I bought a new solo bivy shelter, I sold the old one. Same whenever I buy a new backpack, I sell the old one. I had a Dana Designs pack that I bought at a closeout price of $130 (it originally listed for almost $400). I used it for 6 years and put it on Craigslist for best offer and someone offered me $100 for it. I actually felt guilty and took $80 and threw in an old Peak 1 stove that I would never use again.

hippieP

We have to weed out more of the little stuff not the big stuff. Somehow we manage to collect so much stuff its like we should have an extra garage to house it all in.

Cottontail

I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to camping supplies. I can just never seem to get rid of anything. Maybe cleaning out all the stuff I never use anymore would be a good winter project.

Terry

It all depends on what it is. I have an old Coleman lantern that I've had for years and I wouldn't give it up. But as for tents, after a few years they start to wear out and seem to acquire a bit of an odd smell - probably from not being completely dry when it was put away. I replace my tent every few years at least.

fishingfred

I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to camping supplies. I can just never seem to get rid of anything. Maybe cleaning out all the stuff I never use anymore would be a good winter project.
I'm the same way. I'm afraid if I throw something out then I'll need it. I'm trying to scale down to what I use and a spare of whatever I use. We'll see how it goes.

Hikenhunter

I keep all my old backpacking stuff in case anyone wants to borrow anything because I am not about to lend the stuff I use. Car camping stuff takes up too much storage space so if I don't use it I get rid of it except for a few things that ,again, I do not want to lend out. My uncle once told me,"You never lend out your car, your guns, your prized possesions or your woman, because you will never get them back in the same shape that you lent them." And I subscribe to that advice.