Favorite place you've camped?

Cottontail

Mine was camping out in Yellowstone for two weeks. We had this nice little spot by Slough Creek that was absolutely beautiful! Got to see a lot of very bold wildlife, too.

(Downside: Mosquitoes the size of pelicans.)

grand

I have no particular favorite. But anywhere where I can find the peace and tranquility away from the hustle and bustle of urban living, with adequate supply of potable water and food is the best place for me.

dinosaur

troublemaker
My favorite place was called "thousand islands" in southern Indiana near the towns of Linton and Dugger. It was developed by Peabody Mines after they had dug coal out of the area in strip pits. The pits filled with water, some of them covering as much as thirty acres and all interconnected. Depths run to about sixty feet. The area covers hundreds of acres and the fishing is excellent for panfish, bass and catfish. There are beaver dens and every other type of wildlife you'd expect in a remote area. The camping is primitive and the only way to reach it is by boat. I loaded a canoe with my gear and it took 45 minutes of paddilng and manuevering through small channels and across lakes to reach my site.

Awesome!

Skeeterbait

I've been out to Yellowstone too, and it's definitely a great place to go, especially if you like animal life. There's nothing quite like waking up, unzipping your tent, and seeing a deer grazing three feet away. Unreal.

There are some highly primitive spots, in Desoto State Park, that I love setting up camp at. You need a four by four to get to them, because they are so secluded. It makes me feel like I am really getting back to nature, because I can only bring what I can carry.

Miley

I do not have a favorite place to camp, as long as it is as primitive as possible. I am not talking about "campground primitive", either. I am talking about middle of nowhere, nice and quiet, wildlife passing through site primitive! :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Grandpa

One thing about my favorite places. If someone else does show up, then I consider them kindred souls for getting there. I like high, wild and lonesome country.

carmen

My backyard is always my favorite place to camp and that might seem silly. We are lucky to be in a partially wooded area but far enough from the city to really enjoy it. Plus if there is an issue with any of the kids, we are not far from home.

ChadTower

Many places in southern Nova Scotia. Camped a few times on a small island in a huge lake and it was awesome. Few were ever actual campgrounds, though.

Favorite campground is Lafayette Campground in Franconia Notch State Park, NH. Easy to get to and an amazing location right in the best part of the White Mtns. Easy access to the Appalachian Trail.

Fluttershy

There's a campground in a nearby state park that I absolutely love. It's not terribly primitive, but it's right next to a very active meadow animal-wise. If you're quiet when you wake up and don't make a fire, you can almost always spot a deer or a few foxes in the morning.

Mark Schumacher

Yosemite for about a week on a motorcycle. Fantastic except for the bears. Motorcyclers must take a ride on Highway 4 - makes the Dragons Tail in the Appalachians look wimpy...

Freebird11

Pipestone Creek Park- 17km south of Wembley. 96 unserviced spots on the banks of the Wapiti River.
it my favorite camping place.

campershell

My best camping experiences have been off the back of a motorcycle from The Canadian Rockies down to the tip of the Baja Peninsula! In my opinion, it doesn't get any better!

Rosie

I love to camp on Skyline Drive in Virginia. We try to go every few years. It's a national park and there is a lot of hiking around available. The views are amazing. The facilities are bearable but not fabulous but we don't go here for luxury!

WildRover

Arches National Park in Utah. Even though I had to bring all my own water and I wasn't permitted to have a fire, it's still one of my favorite places. Maybe because it was just so different from what I was used when backpacking and camping in the east.

There are also proper campgrounds there for those who would rather not backpack. I didn't stay there but they seemed decent enough.

yosemitecamper

Favorite place to camp in Arizona is at the East Fork of the Black River in Eastern Arizona. Not too many people during the weekend I love the campground Aspen which sits right along the river. Too bad it was burned out in the fire of 2011. Closed all season. Hopefully it won't take more than a decade to come back. Fishing was outstanding

Chris
camparizona.com
campingatyosemite.com

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
I've had some good spots but my favorite night was this year. Some of the backcountry sites in the Smokies can be crowded and I made reservations for one of these busy sites back in the summer. I got to the site and was the only one there, very odd for a summer night. For those that haven't heard about them, there is a species of synchronous fireflies in the Smokies . They are only found in a few places in the Smokies and one place in the southeast Asia. OK, so I get to the site and setup my hammock, make a small fire and some supper and wait. The fireflies start flashing around 9:30. I finally douse the fire and go sit on the trail and just watch. There are so many fireflies it actually lights the forest enough to walk without a headlamp. The fireflies synchronize their darkness (not actually flashing part) so there is all this light then . . . for a few seconds . . . complete darkness. Then the start flashing again.

I have seen the synchronous fireflies many times but nowhere near the numbers at this campsite. Also, other species are usually mixed in with them so you don't have a total darkness (other species blink different patterns) but this night it was totally Photinus carolinus (for you science nerds). A few special place I will never forget.

DMan

We've been going up to Marten River Provincial Park in Northern Ontario for years. It's got great canoeing with lots of areas to explore and you can't beat that up north feel in the air. That's when you really appreciate a campfire for more than just relaxing in front of.

ppine

Forester
Enchanted Lakes Basin, North Cascades, WA. Strawberry Mtns, OR. Upper Missouri River Breaks, MT. Toiyabe Range, NV. Eagle Lake, CA. John Day River,OR. Grand Canyon, AZ. Fox, Alaska.