Fleas

Scotty

Does anyone have a better way of dealing with fleas than using a spot on treatment? My dogs have been positively eaten up with fleas lately and they have on Frontline. I had also used a flea shampoo before applying the Frontline. Still, we have fleas out the ears and they are tormenting us as well as the dogs.

MtMakiling

I heard that vinegar can help get rid of the dog flea. You can Google it out and see how it's done. I remember my mother applied some powder on our pet dog ages ago and it sure got rid of the fleas. We had to do it twice and they never came back.

wvbreamfisherman

To be really effective, you have to treat the whole environment.

Wash the dogs with a pyrethrin shampoo and let them dry, then use Frontline or some other spot treatment on the dogs.

Wash the bedding with hot water and detergent.

Use an indoor flea spray on the floor and all surfaces the dogs get on, like furniture.

I also treat the (fenced in) yard the dogs run in with wettable Sevin. (Sevin is very toxic to bees, so keep it off flowers.)

This routine always works for us- even in wet years when fleas are awful.

My $0.02, YMMV.

safn1949

Find a product called Revolution,it is a spot product like frontline but works differently.In about 7 days every flea in the house will be dead,you will find them all over the place.

Amazing stuff.

oldmangunner

Agree

Find a product called Revolution,it is a spot product like frontline but works differently.In about 7 days every flea in the house will be dead,you will find them all over the place.

Amazing stuff.
We got Revolution because our vet suggested it. It has worked great for us. I think it even helps protect an animal against heart worms. You can also get this for kittens and puppies, so that makes it really useful.

Last edited:

sailorman

I knew they had that for cats but I did not know it was for dogs too. We have had more fleas this year than usual as well. You can also spread Boric Acid in the yard, if fleas get it on them they will die. I heard salt works too.