For a Hunting Newbie

Trailer

If you've never been hunting before, how do you get started? How do you go about getting a license for a rifle for instance, and where can you learn to, and practise shooting?

le Metis

In the US no permit is needed for long arms (rifles/shotguns). As for getting started, find someone with a bit of experience to take you out into the field. I suggest starting first with a 22, and see if you can find a local range. If you're going to hunt deer, here on the east coast a 270, or a 12 gauge is ideal, where as were I hunting mule deer out west, it would be no caliber smaller then 30 06

Find a local shooting club & join in. They are often very helpful. Someone their will know who is giving Hunter's Safety classes. Well worth the time.
In the past, Dad or Grandpa taught all this, or an Uncle. But all too often this is missing knowledge. I'm doing it all with my sons.

Grandpa

First, most states, if not all, require a hunter safety course before you can get a hunting license. Most hunter safety courses will require you to show proficiency at the end of the course. They can tell you the laws of your state regarding the purchase of a rifle as well as safe places to shoot. This is only a start.

Before actually hunting, making sure your weapon is unloaded, practice at home time and time again, bringing the gun to bear on imaginary targets. With the gun in carry position, focus at a spot on the wall, close your eyes and bring the gun to shooting position, then open eyes and see if the sights are aligned and how close to the actual target you are. Practice until it becomes second nature. Next, go out in the field, without your gun, look for targets (stumps, rocks, branches, anything) and as you bring your imaginary gun to bear, condition yourself to look at the background behind your target. Most hunting accidents, other than self inflicted, happen when a hunter misses a real target and the bullet passes on and hits someone beyond. This quick scan should be at least 30 degrees on both sides of your target.

For most, hunting is a family tradition thing. We learn the basics very young from fathers and grandfathers, practicing the above measures with our toy guns. I strongly suggest you find someone willing to actually take you in the field your first few times hunting.

And my last suggestion, don't be in a hurry to make that first kill. A missed opportunity is much better than having to live with an accident.

BigBackyard

Wonderful tips! I'm glad to see that there are some requirements like that. I used to shoot regularly, but only target shooting. I loved it, and very much miss it. I should look at starting again.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Trailer, as an addend to all of these great suggestions, you might want to learn how to clean the game you shoot.

OpenAir

Not to mention learning to strip, clean and care for your rifle. If you don't look after it you risk misfires and jams, which will cause problems for you obviously when you're out hunting.

Trailer

I have to admit that cleaning the game is the part that worries me the most. I can cook it just fine, but have to deal with cleaning it isn't so easy. Time to get some lessons from my mother before I take this any further.

dhoyle

I would suggest starting with a 22RF and small game (rabbit, squirrel). It's good practice for all the skills you will need when you step up to big game.