French Carps ...

Frederico

I have to go to Europe on business soon and a French client has invited me to fish for carp in the lake near his village after I waxed lyrical about my fishing skills (ha !) in an email.

It would be useful if I could impress this client.

Any advice about what carp fishing equipment is called in France? Anyone done any fishing in France ?

Lorax

I know it's huge in Europe.

We have a carp tournament near where I am now. I showed up last year to check it out and there were a few European teams. They had special rod holders that sounded with line movement and special rigging for baits with the hook not in the bait, but by it. I got a hasty explanation but still didn't understand the concept of that unique rig. The tournament is now in it's third year and the prize already for first is $2500.

I'm sure not everybody fishes this way with all the specialized equipment, but don't be surprised if you're not handed an ugly stick, 20 lb test mono and a can of corn. Those guys take their carp fishing pretty seriously.

Sounds like a fun trip.

Frederico

Hi Lorax - thanks for all that information - I'm intrigued now to see what kind of gear I have to use - a can of corn ???? I'm looking forward to the trip which will be at the end of March. I'll report back.