Geocaching - Stealth

Bill D

Does anyone practice stealth anymore when geocaching? I was always told to be stealthy and not let onto others what I was doing. But this weekend I spend the day at a small park with about 10 caches. You can hear people yelling to others that they "found it", or causing a big commotion when they find it. Then these same people seem to be upset, or worse, find it funny, when the cache gets moved, or trashed.

jason

fear no beer
I really haven't done much caching, still in the single digits. But I tend to go when there are not that many people out, so stealth has not been a problem. I'm not open about what I'm doing, but I'm sure someone who has done caching would know what I was doing.

oldsarge

Some people take this whole stealth thing way too far. I prefer to cache in the wooded areas. I think urban caching has gotten far too out of hand and is no fun at all. There are caches placed in areas that are so populated that it's all most impossible not to be seen. Who wants to have to get up at some obscure hours to beat the rush to make a useless find on some uneventful cache. As far as being in the woods, there have been times where I was forced to wait a few minutes while others passed by before I made a find close to a trail. Not a problem! I've been caching since 2004 and am slowly loosing interest in it more and more. Urban caching will be the downfall of this family oriented activity due to folks abusing private property and trespassing issues. I, myself have been detained over two hours by local police because a cache I had visited previously was found to be of a suspicious nature and the bomb squad was called out. Who need s the hassle!

Kenser321

I like to be as stealthy as possible, but I promote it at every chance on all my media platforms. I would actually like it if more people practiced CITO while they were out hiking. Otherwise the only time I really use stealth is when the police are patrolling heavily.

oldsarge

Stealthiness fringes on suspiciousness. It tends to draw more attention depending on where you're at.