Getting it Together

Roybrew

Getting my stuff together. I figured out that my sleeping mat will fit inside of the fleece bag liner. Compress_20240513_201608_8101.jpg
I like sleeping on something the soft fleece other then the sleeping pads plastic surface. Then all I need is a blanket to cover up with.

I already had a few articles of clothing in a dry bag that I'd take when I'd go canoeing in cold weather. Stuff in some extra stuff for this trip and I'm good to go.Compress_20240513_201607_7731.jpg
This is the only light tarp I have it's 8.5 x 10. Compress_20240513_201607_7905.jpg
I have a large heavy one that I'm considering taking just because of the expected rain.
I have to get the rest in my back pack. Trying to go light. I hope I don't forget my canoeCompress_20240513_202956_6996.jpg
It'll be it's first trip.

Roybrew

So far the weather has been great. It's first camping trip.Compress_20240517_121027_7622.jpg
Compress_20240517_121027_7433.jpgCompress_20240517_121027_7986.jpgCompress_20240517_121026_6920.jpgCompress_20240517_121026_6148.jpg
Linville gorge
Compress_20240517_121025_5934.jpg
I'll tell you what, those simple coffee can stoves are great. It is fast also.
Compress_20240517_121025_5662.jpg
Lunch of ramen noodles, granola bar, coffee and nuts. Going to get out and explore before rain moves in.
Roy

Attachments

Northern Dancer

So far the weather has been great. It's first camping trip.View attachment 4382
View attachment 4383View attachment 4384View attachment 4385View attachment 4386
Linville gorge
View attachment 4387
I'll tell you what, those simple coffee can stoves are great. It is fast also.
View attachment 4388
Lunch of ramen noodles, granola bar, coffee and nuts. Going to get out and explore before rain moves in.
Roy
-----> enjoyed and liked this pictorial - done well. I was particularly interested in the camp stove you made. I've never been that luxurious in my designs. The "steal" of the photos is the canoe. Looks like mighty fine country down your way. There's always something special about spring...new beginnings and new adventures.

Roybrew

Had some rain this afternoon. The hobo tarp held up pretty good, especially with a canoe paddle on top of picnic table. Compress_20240517_175619_9475.jpg
I brought a big tarp cause we were supposed to have a lot of rain. Compress_20240517_180039_9807.jpg
So far it's been pretty nice out. Nice and cool at night, great sleeping weather.
Compress_20240517_175619_9231.jpg
Oh here's a good picture of the twig stove. Really simple. Don't really need to shove sticks into bottom. There's enough room to put through top, unless you use a big pan.

I noticed that there is a line of quartz about 2 feet above the water level. I saw this in several places on this lake. In the picture you can see a small white horizontal line just above the water.IMG_20240517_180500983.jpg
Roy

Northern Dancer

Had some rain this afternoon. The hobo tarp held up pretty good, especially with a canoe paddle on top of picnic table. View attachment 4390
I brought a big tarp cause we were supposed to have a lot of rain. View attachment 4391
So far it's been pretty nice out. Nice and cool at night, great sleeping weather.
View attachment 4392
Oh here's a good picture of the twig stove. Really simple. Don't really need to shove sticks into bottom. There's enough room to put through top, unless you use a big pan.

I noticed that there is a line of quartz about 2 feet above the water level. I saw this in several places on this lake. In the picture you can see a small white horizontal line just above the water.View attachment 4393
Roy
----->Luv's it. We have a lot in common - I like your style and your skill.

A line of quartz? Did you check for gold or diamonds? :Smile2:

Roybrew

A line of quartz? Did you check for gold or
Um well, I'm a little embarrassed to say this, but I was mistaken about the vein of quartz. Upon further investigation of it, it appears to be pollen residue. I guess when the water level came up, from all the rain, all the pollen and stuff left the stain as the water came down. There was a lot of quartz in the area tho.

Northern Dancer

Um well, I'm a little embarrassed to say this, but I was mistaken about the vein of quartz. Upon further investigation of it, it appears to be a pollen residue. I guess when the water level came up, from all the rain, all the pollen and stuff left the stain as the water came down. There was a lot of quartz in the area tho.
-----> You mean...there's no gold? I've made mistakes like that and usually, they turn out to be funny. But I was thinking about the "line". I've noticed in the last few years there is a line on the rock formations in the area where I canoe most. It is the old water line. The water level has certainly dropped. We experience a "hook up" river to another late completely dry. I found that to be scary; I'd never seen a dried-up river before.

Roybrew

I've heard of streams moving, wells going dry suddenly and sink holes opening up. There is a lot of limestone is this area, a

nd it's said that water seeping through will erode into underground crevices and caves. Wife's old family farm had a large flat 10 acre field beside the old farm house. She said that one morning they noticed it had a large sag in it. It's got a 10' deep sag in about a 1/2 acre area.

Lots of quartz in that area. Maybe gold around somewhere?

Drying stuff out and putting away.

I took a large 20' by 20' tarp with me. One of those a person can get at a farm or box store. Good practice setting that up, but not very practical. To large and heavy. The wind came up quick, in front of a storm, and a few of the grommets were torn out. I have no regrets for taking it. I stayed dry and practiced knot tying and rigging.Compress_20240520_202350_0982.jpg
Roy

Northern Dancer

I've heard of streams moving, wells going dry suddenly and sink holes opening up. There is a lot of limestone is this area, a

nd it's said that water seeping through will erode into underground crevices and caves. Wife's old family farm had a large flat 10 acre field beside the old farm house. She said that one morning they noticed it had a large sag in it. It's got a 10' deep sag in about a 1/2 acre area.

Lots of quartz in that area. Maybe gold around somewhere?

Drying stuff out and putting away.

I took a large 20' by 20' tarp with me. One of those a person can get at a farm or box store. Good practice setting that up, but not very practical. To large and heavy. The wind came up quick, in front of a storm, and a few of the grommets were torn out. I have no regrets for taking it. I stayed dry and practiced knot tying and rigging.View attachment 4394
Roy
-----> That's quite the shelter. I use the silicone tarp; quieter, stronger, easy to fold, and a lot lighter. I've found that grommets seem to get ripped out during a storm. I like the new telescope poles too that make setup easier. I remember a time I didn't have any of this stuff, but I sure do now.

I know you are a fisherman and that's something I don't do. So I bought a package of pink salmon for Arrowhead. The stuff is expensive.

And with the purchase of salmon, I just had to get the fish crisp batter too. I've used a lot of this over the years.

Roybrew

I don't know if I like salmon. Dad used to bring some home, when we lived in Michigan. I remember, when I was 5, getting up to go to the bathroom and wondering what all the commotion was in the kitchen. When I walked in there, there were about 6 huge salmon laid out across the kitchen table. Mom and Dad were standing there with a butcher knife and hacksaw cutting them into steaks. I just stood there with my mouth hanging open staring at the size of them fish.

I didn't like salmon then, but that was a few years ago, um 54 at least, maybe I should give it another try?