Good Age To Teach Canoeing

Dreamer

I have girls that are 7 and 9 and would love to take them out in the canoe, how old is a good age to teach them about it? I am scared they would tip it over, is that too young to take them out do you think?

Lightfoot

I think it would be fine to take them out at that age. Just make sure you wear life vests and go over the rules before heading out. Girls are usually good about listening to you.

jason

fear no beer
I'm very tempting to try and get my daughter to go n the kayak with me. She is only 2 though. It worries me. I may see how she does in the pool this year first though. Last year she hated the pool, but also hated the bath. Now she loves the bath, I hope she will like the pool.

Archer

I work at a camp where 7 year olds canoe at least once a week in a lake. Take them somewhere tame and safe, make sure they wear life jackets, teach them what to do if it does flip over...and if it does, have fun with it! :)

waverider365

Mine first went on short kayak rides from when they were 8 & 5, and theirs was in the ocean in calm low tide water although it was never by themselves, since they knew how to swim I just made sure to remind them where to swim if they fall out and what to do if the whole thing tips over.

WoodBender

My daughter was 8 years old when she paddled the Oswegatchie River from Inlet to High Falls and back with me...26 miles round trip in about 5 days of paddling. That wasn't her first time paddling, but it was her first wilderness canoe trip.

She's 21 now, and is still an avid paddler. She finds day trips on local rivers and creeks boring if she's been there before. She's been hooked on adventures ever since.

We started our kids when they were 3 or 4. They grew up canoeing and river camping. Get them a dip net, the kind the bait shops use in their minnow tanks. They cost more but they will last years and are big enough to work well. Your kids will spend countless hours dipping critters out of the water and they will grow to love rivers, lakes and canoeing. Get them a "little paddle" so they can feel like their helping. It goes without saying that they always wear a pfd the fits when on or near water. Make sure it is comfortable and they won't mind it. Sit them on cushions in front of you and start them early on "safe" water. Have fun!!

MendyUSA

Sorry that wont work use the link item "e". The cool thing about them is you can lengthen the white rope lowering the seat and the passengers center of gravity.

greatcanadian.com/accessories_seats

campershell

If they are interested and eager to learn, there is no age restriction as to when they should learn to paddle. Just make sure you provide the right safety gears and give them the safety talk needed. And make sure they do it in safe waters.

ChadTower

7 and 9 are a fine age to start. The key isn't their age. It is your ability to keep them in environments suited to their skillset. Don't ever put them in a situation they can't handle and you'll all be just fine.