Hiking boots

Joe S.

What brand of hiking boots have you had the best luck with? My personal favorites throughout the years have been Danner. Definitely built to last.

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
I haven't had any I really love. My newest pair are Kayland Vertigo Highs. Pretty good boot far, just a little tight in the toe box.

Grandpa

I gave up on hiking boots years ago. My preference runs to New Balance trail shoes as they have the wider widths to fit my fat foot.

calanta

Col Mid Waterproof by merrell but they are new and I am still trying to get them broken. I am wondering if I should get a higher pair too but I might wait until next year for that.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
I haven't found a hiking boot that I've liked since the Vasque Sundowners I bought in 1974. Those lasted about 15 years with 2 re-soles. Nowadays, I just wear a running type shoes as everything has a Gore-Tex liner and my feet are allergic to Gore-Tex.

rockytibby

I also perfer trail shoes as opposed to boots. I did buy a pair of Bear Paw boots that I like alot, but they have no lining. So in winter I wear my Ranger thinsolate lined boots rated at -10.

HikingMike

I've had my Danner 453's for years now and have found them to be superb. The only boot I've ever worn that I liked better was the issue combat boot made by Bellville that was issued in the late 90's by the Marine Corps. I still use that particular boot as my cold weather hiking boot.

Having said that, boots are dependent on your foot and individual fit. Find a pair/brand you like and if it works for you, stick with it.

IndianaHiker

Just dumped the boots and got a pair of Solomon 3d Ultra. Not real good luck with them so far. Felt good in the store but carved my feet up doing 14 miles or so 2 weekend ago. Going to give them another try but have my doubts. Hate to retire them after one trip as I gave 140 bucks for them.

Bob

For me it is not so much the brand of hiking boot that I need to focus on, but the style of boot. For me, a chukka style of boot, no matter what the brand, works best.

hippieP

I have issues with any shoes I buy and people think I am the most hateful shoe chick possible. I want something that does its job, is comfy and is not torture on my feet. That should not be something that I feel bad for asking for when shopping, the sales people hate me.

Newanderthal

My Merrills are 8 or 9 years old... but they're made in America. All Merrills now are made in China and last about 6-9 months according to every person I've spoken with and review that I've read.

omegapd

I've used Saucony trail running shoes up until today. Bought a pair of Sonoma hiking boots this past weekend. Just finished 2 miles in them and they're ok. No problems yet. I'm wondering the best way to break them in if anyone has any tips? Just wear them until they feel good or toss them when they start causing blisters? ;-)

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
My Merrills are 8 or 9 years old... but they're made in America. All Merrills now are made in China and last about 6-9 months according to every person I've spoken with and review that I've read.
I've had bad luck with the last 2 pairs of Merrels. The pair I have now were free due to failure with the last pair. The current ones have failed too (lugs falling off) and I am going to send the back sometime this winter. I bough some Kayland's for winter hiking so I won't use the Merrels till spring. I won't be buying any more Merrels but I'll keep wearing the free ones as long as they keep replacing them when they fail.

Grandpa

My Merrills are older and still okay, but mainly because I never wear them, preferring NB trail shoes. Son in Law got a pair of Merrill shoes that he loved and wore daily, both hiking and to work. After about 3 years of constant use he replaced them with the same model and the new ones lasted about a month. After replacing them twice they refused the third time claiming he was abusing them.

Lamebeaver

I don't go for a particular brand, but rather go for fit and comfort first, features second.

The last two pairs I bought have been Coleman brand.

ppine

Forester
I have a pair of logging boots made by Danner that I bought in 1979 to work in rough country. Wore them for decades. They are too heavy so now I wear Asolo light boots with good ankle support. Sometimes I wear basketball or running shoes with a light pack.

In the old days, senior backpackers (over 65) used to wear canvas hightop Converse bball shoes, the former offical shoe of the NBA.

I worked with an old forester in Spokane, WA that had a pair of White's logging boots that he had resoled 9 times when I knew him in 1980. Most new boots go in the trash after the soles wear out.

Last edited: