Increasing stamina

DThewanderer

My 16 year old niece is going to come live with us for awhile. I know she doesn't have a lot of physical stamina. She will be required to come hiking with us. What can we do to help her build her hiking stamina up in a healthy way.

Grandpa

More important than stamina is desire. Make sure she is enjoying your trips. Start her on short, entertaining hikes. Keep her enthusiasm alive at all times.

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
But in an exercise bike hooked to a small generator. Hook that to the TV......
:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Stamina is fairly easy to build, just walk up - does't have to be steep - just up. The drive to do it might not be something you can do though. Ultimately it will be her choice. However, you can make it an easier choice for her but 1) don't do 12 miles on the first trip 2) make her climb mountains 3) walk with shoes that don't fit.

If possible go see something; waterfall, vista, old growth trees, etc. From past experience the new folks are more impressed with views and waterfalls. After a while a grove of hemlocks are worth the trip (when you have adelgids) but a first time probably wouldn't care.

Ilovelife

Good Idea!

But in an exercise bike hooked to a small generator. Hook that to the TV......
I have often thought of doing this with my youngest daughter. Out of all my kids she is the one who watches too much TV. I just can't figure out how to actually hook a TV up so that it will only run off of a bike.

Michael

You build stamina for an activity by engaging in that activity or one that's comparably tiring.

I recently spent a bunch of time getting into better shape, much of which involved building stamina. It's pretty simple, but it involves a lot of time. That means you need to want to do it; if you don't want it, the whole thing is going to fall flat.

The thing that worked for me is taking long walks. Some were hikes, and some were just flat terrain. I figured out a distance and a pace that I could do, and I did that a few times a week. The first couple of weeks I didn't push myself much at all. I just did a pace I found comfortable for a distance that didn't exhaust me. It did make me feel tired after, but I wasn't gasping and falling over.

After a couple of weeks, I found that doing the same types of things started getting easier. The hills didn't feel as high and the straightaways didn't feel as long. So I added a mile or so to my loops. If the terrain was really flat and level the whole way, I added two miles. Then I spent a couple more weeks doing this a few times a week.

Key to all of this was finding my own pace and not pushing too hard. I went for feeling a bit tired and slightly sore, not for being exhausted and not for actual pain. I varied terrain types so that some bits were flat and some had lots of hills. And I did it at least two or three times a week, if not four and sometimes five when I felt really motivated.

After a few months of that, 8-10 miles is an easy walk, and 15 miles just needs a bit of stretching after.

This is what worked for me. It might work for your niece. If she's 16, she'll probably have a much easier time of it than me, because I'm more than twice her age. But she still needs to want to do it, otherwise it'll just be a chore you inflict on her.

Roy

If you're going to require her to accompany the family on hikes then please try to make sure they are short hikes without any steep inclines. Taking her on long forced hikes isn't going to accomplish anything except to make her hate hiking.