Kayak verses Canoe

SallyA

This may sound dumb, but what is the difference between a kayak and a canoe? How is each used?

jason

fear no beer
Well there are a few different types of kayaks. The first is a closed sit inside or sea kayak. This is the kind most people think of when it comes to kayaking. You sit inside, and have a skirt that goes around your waist area. This keeps water from getting in, and you will see people doing rolls in them, which is going under the water upside down.

Then there is the growing in popularity, sit on kayak's deck. As you can guess, you sit on top of the kayak. If you tip, you fall out, although I have heard of people doing rolls with these if they use knee straps. You will get wet in these. I like them because you can hop in and out of it. Mine is also made for stability so I can stand up in it.

Then there is the "hybrid" kayak. You have a larger opening to sit in, typically no skirt, and a large deck. I really cannot tell you much about them.

Then you have a canoe. A canoe you can sit deeper in the water like the sea kayak, you have no deck, and you have higher sides. Typically though you have a seat in a canoe that you sit higher up. I think a canoe may be better for carrying larger, heavier loads. Canoes can take on water, and tend to catch the wind.

Newanderthal

Canoe

Kayak

their functions differ. If you want solo trips during the day, a recreational kayak would be right for you. If you plan on solo camping trips, then you want a touring kayak. If you're going with the family, get a canoe.

Personally, I like the canoes. I take a lot of multi-day trips with my girlfriend and dog. The canoe is stable, can carry up to 900 lbs. (though I've never put half that much in there) and only drafts about 4 inches of water (less than my cousin's kayak). If I did more solo trips, I'd get a kayak.

outdoors Joe

I've been thinking about getting one or the other, too. It sounds like both would be fun, but you mentioned stability. It sounds like Kayaks are very unstable and tip easily. Do you need to practice using them so that doesn't happen?

ADK Ann

Kayak preferred

I have paddled both and like the kayak better. With the kayak you sit down lower in the water and, I think, that makes you less prone to tipping. Kayaks have two kinds of stability. Usually, the wider they are, the more stable. After you have paddled for a while you might want a narrower kayak as they paddle more easily. I bought a second hand, wider one first and learned to paddle with it. I am now looking for a narrower, faster kayak. Try to go to a paddling event if possible and try out the kayak or canoe before you buy it.

rainey

It also depends on what kind of water you will be using it in. I have a sit on top and use it primarily in the marsh and bay - I can really go far in very shallow water, so can sneak up on wildlife while enjoying being alone.

MendyUSA

Basically you sit in a kayak and kneel in a canoe. Of course today’s flat water canoes have seats.

palabratic

The Arcticllama
A Kayak is a Covered Deck Canoe...

this is the most general case...
there are some very major differences in capabilities.

Canoes.. Wider and deeper than most kayaks (they still come in a wide variety of lengths and shapes) Most generally used canoes have seats in the bow and stern, or a single seat in the center.. there are also canoes with a kneeling pad and saddle style seat that are generally Whitewater boats. Their uses and capabilities vary so greatly that it is hard to lump them together.. but the most common canoe is 15-17 ft long with 2 seats and a shallow keel. generally they will carry 700-1000 pounds and your center of gravity is much higher than a kayak.

Kayaks come in 4 basic types... sea kayaks (generally 17+ feet and looking like the picture posted by newanderthal), sit on tops (previously discussed.. they are usually a sealed boat that you sit on top of), touring/general use... (9-14 foot average.. sit in boats with moderate capacity), and whitewater.. (these are much less stable and much shorter... designed for playing in waves and surf)

Kayaks generally lower your center of gravity but that doesn't always mean more stable.. they usually have less rocker (side to side forgiveness for tipping) so i find they tip more often in my experience...

A skirt is a cover to prevent filling the boat with water, and there are skirts for canoes too...