Layaway is back!

FreeWilly

So what do you guys think about layaway making a comeback? Do you see it as good for the consumer or just a ploy for retailers to try and make more money like opening up at midnight on Thanksgiving? About the only good thing I read in an article about it is that it will keep the kids from snooping through gifts as you can keep it at the store until it's almost Christmas.

Lamebeaver

If you can't afford the gifts you're buying up-front, perhaps you shouldn't be buying them???

Just a thought.

CozInCowtown

If you can't afford the gifts you're buying up-front, perhaps you shouldn't be buying them???

Just a thought.

+1
I refuse to own a credit card, just a scam IMO. What kind of idiot would voluntary pay an additional 25+% for something just to put it on a credit card?
Wally Werld had lay-a-way this year but not on firearms, just electronics and jewelry.
I have lay-a-wayd several firearms in the past, 90 days to pay them out. No Fee, then no problem Mr. Storeowner!!
JMO,
DC

Grandpa

Hate credit cards as well. And I'm growing all too comfortable with my debit card. But what the heck, that piece of plastic is worth as much as a $100 bill anyway. Which isn't the point.

When the kids were small, we definately used layaway to store stuff until Christmas. Most was paid for at the time of laying away, some had to wait for another milk check to arrive to get paid off. But, as Free Willy said, it was a good storage place so the Christmas snoops couldn't find the gifts.

jason

fear no beer
They news had something on some stores layaway process. I did not get to watch it, but they said some stores charge as much as 40% interest on the items, and some charge a big up front fee for it.

I'm not a fan of walmart, but I thought their price match was nice. I will give them credit for that.

As far as credit cards. It took me a while, but I've warmed up to them. I use them for rewards points now, and make sure they get paid off every month so I do not get hit with interest. Takes a lot of will though.

campclose

I think it's great for people that don't have credit cards. It really was cheap too, you only had to pay $5 I believe to hold something. Don't forget though that all items need to be picked up by Friday (from Wal-Mart).

Michelle

I think layaway is horrible for most people. I guess it's good if you don't have a credit card and are incapable of saving money but they lock you in at the higher prices early and the rest of us get our stuff so much cheaper.

Grandpa

Things must have changed over the years. I don't remember any extra charges for lay a way. When our kids were growing, it was considered Customer Service.

3ofusnow

I wish they would keep layaway year round. Walmart only charges a paltry sum to hold your items for you, and for those of us living paycheck to paycheck it really helps. I remember growing up my parents would use layaway for back to school clothes and shoes too.

southerngal

I love layaway! Way better than a credit card in my opinion. I believe Walmart said they "might" keep it year round if the Christmas run got a good response.

FreeWilly

Did it go away? I guess our small town stores kept up the tradition.
I thought for sure they had gotten rid of it, but I might be wrong. I only heard about it in the news first and then I saw it advertised when I was picking up some things at a Kmart. I'm learning my lesson to just buy what I can afford and if I want something, I'll save for it.