Living Out of a Tent

BTBoop

I have known a couple of families that had some really bad luck and decided to live at different campgrounds and sleep in a tent. Do you think if it came down to it you could do this?

BCBabe

Why not? I lived on a sailboat for 11 years, with my partner and a big ol' tom-cat: 300 sq feet of living space, 2 adults, and a cat?

That we didn't kill each other is something of a point of pride.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Good for you, Babe! The longest I ever lived out of a tent was only a few weeks, but I lived in a small cabin for four years and change.

Chilly

I've done two months in a tent, but it wasn't an ordinary little camper. It was a massive tent, withstood a major storm or two whilst we were moving around the country. It was big enough to stand in, and slept eight, but needed a decent car to move it.

mccallum

This time of year in Kansas; and about 2000 miles east of my AO I would not advise it! Two foot of snow! I can hear it now "I know the tent was right hear when I left this morning!!" Not sure I would desire to live out of a tent in the best of times other than campin trips!!

Joe S.

I have never lived in a tent for an extended period of time, but I lived in my travel trailer for 26 months while I built my house seven years ago. It wasn't supposed to last that long, and I was glad when I was done with it.

Grandpa

When the kids were small, set up a big heavy canvas wall tent in a back corner of the ranch near a good spring. Laid in a good supply of wood for the sheepherder stove. We would snow machine in for weekends and for a week over Christmas break. It was tight quarters, perfect for teaching them "everything in it's place". It was very cozy and comfortable but we skipped if the forecast called for sub zero temps. My wife baked the best darn bread you could ever hope for in a dutch oven on the wood stove. The kids loved watching the deer and elk come in to the spring. I have no doubt, with the right preparations, we could have lived there a year or more if necessary. The deer and elk may have got a little nervous when we harvested "campmeat" though.

Lorax

I met an old widower once, who lived out of the back of his pick up and would drive to see as many National Parks as he could. He was extremely well organized with a large tent, cot and everything to make a very nice camp. he was impeccably dressed in wool pants, red and black plaid mackinaw jacket, Stormy Kromer hat and cleanly shaven every day.
It's where he wanted to be, what he enjoyed doing and spent months on the road at a time, meeting and talking to people.

Really nice guy.