Need a child carrier

southerngal

Hey guys. We are just starting to go on some family hikes with our two year old and 5 month old. I am searching for some kind of backpack or front carrier for the 5 month old. We have a couple of the "around town" carriers, and they are just not comfortable for a hike.

DragonAge

What type of around town carriers do you have. We always used a Baby Bjorn because we liked to be able to see the child and keep them close to us.

ponderosa

I'd really recommend a backpack carrier for the 5 month old. It won't be long until the baby is too big to comfortably carry in the front, and the backpack will serve you well for a few years. I had a good Kelty front carrier that I used everywhere from hiking to shopping, but around five months was when I switched mine to a backpack for hiking, as soon as they could sit up pretty well. I tucked rolled blankets around them to help support them and to snug the fit in the carrier. As for which backpack, it just needs to fit you well, just like any backpack should fit you well. We have a Kelty which fits my husband perfectly, but it won't adjust small enough to be comfortable for me. The pack in my profile pic is a Yakima (no longer made unfortunately) that fits my narrower shoulders/hips really well. If I had lots of money to burn on new carriers, my dream kid carrier would be this:
Deuter Kid Comfort III Child Carrier - Free Shipping at REI.com
Just be sure to get one with a frame if you're planning to use it into the toddler years. The frameless carriers just aren't comfortable with very much weight on board.

jason

fear no beer
I have one by Kelty similar to this. Amazon.com: Kelty K.I.D.S. FC 3.0 Frame Child Carrier: Sports & Outdoors I got a red one that has a canopy that you can remove with a screen to help keep the sun off of them.

I love it, it is adjustable so I got my daughter sitting right in it and was easy to carry. The stand on the back folds open when I put her down. I think it even came with a mirror on a leash so I can check on her, but I never used it. I did have to add a strap for her water bottle as my daughter would drop it all the time.

I cannot wait to take my son out in it this fall.

southerngal

Thanks for the suggestions guys. My around town carrier is kind of like the Baby Bjorn. I think they aren't really comfortable for me because I am so short! I will definitely be looking into the ones with a frame.