No longer a weekend warrior.

Northern Dancer

Funny how habits change.
I used to be a "weekend warrior" in terms of my camping exploits. You throw articles in the back of the car, buy a hunk of food, and off you go somewhere and then spend a lot of money buying things you already have back home and don't need.

Then one day, usually after a bout of frustration it suddenly dawns on you that a little bit of planning could make all the difference in the world. I'm I right? Planning is especially important today because there isn't always the space available that we had at one time. Appointments, bookings, and the like are the norm, and though there may be first come first serve available it's becoming a lot less and you are more apt to be disappointed. Book your site.

So to help the weary and foster a better experience here are a few suggestions if you aren't there yet.

The first thing I did was to establish an inventory of all the equipment I have.
Once that was done I went on to list items into categories. Understanding there may be some overlap I still have items listed under Week End Camp, Base Camp, and Canoe Camp. Each section has items peculiar to the experience that I want to enjoy.

All the equipment is tagged and has my logo on it.
I have more than one item. For example, I have three sleeping bags, two down-filled blankets, regular pillows, and a canoe camping pillow. The same is true with tents, I have four that meet the challenge of different weather conditions. I don't have to search for what I need, things are well-marked. Everything is neatly placed on a shelf.

I was forever losing or misplacing small items.
I have two small boxes that are loaded with small items. Things like batteries, small lights, guy line ropes, compasses, extra titanium pegs, fire starters, whistles, knives, and headlamps. If it's small - it goes into one of two boxes. Small and really small.

I have three lists.
I have an equipment list, a menu list, and a shopping for food list. I make sure I have propane and batteries of different kinds and the gas tank is filled at least two days before a trip.

I have all my papers in order.
That would include such things as licenses needed for fishing purposes. Declaration or Pass Ports if crossing borders. Confirmation of registration documents. Immunization list and medications for a dog. I will have left a "float plan", if I'm canoeing, or "Here is where you can find me information" - which includes the day and approximate time I'll be back. This last piece of information is really important should search and rescue become a crisis.

I pack a week before I leave.
I know it sounds a bit much but I can tell you from experience it makes getting away a whole lot easier. No fuss, no hurry and I always start on time. This is especially true if there is a group. Packing on the day of a canoe trip is guaranteed problematic and could be nightmarish.

So...there you have it. Share your experience with us and more importantly your ideas.

Last edited: