Packing

Outdooruser

I am horrible when it comes to packing for camping. I bring lots of stuff with us. We always use it all, but my other half seems to think we would be fine even if we didn't have it.

Do you pack light or do you over pack?

popupgirl

I over pack too! I just can't help it. I don't want to get there and not have something. I'm not the type that will run to the store to grab things once I'm at the campground.

frank6160

Definately an overpacker. I carry the old boy scout motto of be prepard a bit too far at times. I just want to be comfortable and to be able to stay for the intended duration of trip.

outdoorsy

I over pack too! I don't even care. A lot of times we take 2 vehicles because we have so much stuff that I have packed. I want to be sure we have plenty of food and drinks, bedding, towels, etc.

Mandy

I am definitely an under-packer. I believe that camping is all about getting back to the basics and doing without some of the modern conveniences. We always camp at primitive sites. I do tend to overpack food in case we don't catch enough fish on our own.

Adventurelover

I over pack for everything unless I am packing a backpack and have to carry it. Whenever we go anywhere I get the "what ifs". What if this happens and I need that, etc. It is a major undertaking to go anywhere if you are taking me with you lol!

Gondor

I always tend to pack light. In the summer my pack weighs around 30 pounds max when I'm going on a week trip. In the winter that the pack balloons up to 50 pounds.

Outdooruser

It is good to see I am not the only one that does this. Next time I am getting in trouble for over-packing, I will show this to my husband. :)

calanta

Pack and then learn to re-pack. That is what you do until you realize how to actually pack proper and its taken me years to figure this out but it does get easier the more times you do it.

southerngal

I hate packing that's the worst part of any trip for me. Packing is definitely an art form. Making sure you have what you need but not more than you need and being able to make it all fit!

Newanderthal

rule of thumb: when carrying the gear to the car, each person should only make one trip. More than that and you're overpacking.

Go on a backpacking trip and you'll learn what you need and what you think you want. tablecloth, no. whole box of plastic forks, no. two rolls of paper towels, no. you shouldn't have to spend more time packing and unpacking than you spend in the woods.

Flowerchild

I pack what we need. I have it down to a science now. We have all our camping gear organized, so really the only thing I pack from the house is the food and our clothes and hygiene supplies.