Pets

calanta

I have been thinking its very easy for us to take a dog on a camping trip, but what about when you have a cat? I now have one in life and I think she is going to end up staying at home during our next outing since she is not really the outdoors type. Are there any cats that are though?

firefly

I don`t think I would take a cat camping. I`d be afraid of it being eaten by some wild animal. It`s hard to keep a cat on a leash like you can a dog. I wouldn`t take my dog either. He gets tangled up around the picnic table all the time when we take him to parks. :tinysmile_grin_t:

katharina

I now have one in life and I think she is going to end up staying at home during our next outing since she is not really the outdoors type. Are there any cats that are though?
Our cat loves traveling with us... and we've taken her a lot of places, but you're right and I'd have to draw the line at camping. She strictly indoors and hates the outside world so it would stress her as well as us for having to watch her all the time.

Katydid

I wouldn't even think about bringing our cat with us. There's just too much that could go wrong and I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if she got loose and lost. Most of the time we are only away for a couple days and she barely notices we are gone. On our longer trips, my niece comes and house-sits for us.

Taggart

I agree - I would definitely not take a cat camping. We have two indoor cats and if we're gone for more than one night, we arrange to have somebody come in and look after them.

kernow

My cat would hate to go camping and I wouldn't risk it getting lost. However I have one mad friend who takes her rabbit camping!

Penny

First off cats detroy the wildlife, second of all they might not ever come back to you after seeing how great it is in the wild! I'm not a cat fan and believe they should stay in the house to stop them from being a pest.

kernow

Penny you make a good point, any decisions we make should take into account the need to protect the environment and the wildlife. If we bring any animals with us we have to be responsible both for their safety and for the safety of those who encounter them. In general I think it is easier not to take any animals camping with me.