Police Enforce Speed Limit On Cyclists, Skaters

Serafim

DENVER -- Police in Denver are stepping up their patrols for folks speeding through parks and have started enforcing a 15 mph speed limit.

Patrol officers use radar guns to gauge a person's speed and ticket skaters and cyclists who are breaking the speed limit, Denver television station KMGH reported. The enforcement came as a result of an increase in accidents involving pedestrians, Denver police said.

"My understanding is that about three months ago, a child was struck by a bicyclist. I don't believe injuries occurred as a result, but it was certainly brought to the attention of the parks and recreation department that this problem was ongoing," said Denver police Capt. Eric Rubin.

Some walkers and joggers complain that they have to dodge speeding cyclists when they have to cross the yellow line that separates the bike lane from the pedestrian lane.

"I've almost been clipped, way over in the middle of the walking lane, by guys who are veering out across the double yellow to get around slower bicyclists," said pedestrian Gordon Rippey.

Some cyclists said that the speed limit should only apply during peak before- and after-work hours, when parks are busy. Others think that officers should concentrate on bigger problems, such as graffiti and speeding cars, not giving $54 tickets to cruising cyclists.

"It's frustrating because ... to be clocking people on a downhill slope. I mean, I've been telling myself while going around that I'm not going any more than 15," said cyclist Jenny Killion, who was ticketed.

Some cyclists feel that pedestrians are partly to blame.

"We're being singled out as the bad guys, and there are a few of us that are bad guys, but there are a lot of other people who are bad guys too," said cyclist Gary Christlieb.

One cycling advocate said that a lack of bike lanes in the city is part of the problem.

"So many bicyclists feel that there's not a place for them on the streets so they feel forced to ride in the park, where there are no cars," said Dan Grunig, executive director of Bicycle Colorado.

He said better signage and pavement markings would help separate bicyclists and pedestrians. Most wonder if the increased enforcement will be effective.

Police said they will not advertise when they will monitor the park.

Police Enforce Speed Limit On Cyclists, Skaters - Irresistible News Story - WDIV Detroit

kernow

It is about time that took more notice of speeding bikes, my son was knocked iver by a bike and he was badly hurt.

2coastcamper

OK, 15 is pretty fast for a bike. I take several road ride, hard road rides, and I'd struggle to average at 15mph over just a 6-mile ride. However, I did have a speedometer on my bike for a short time, and on a pretty decent downhill, I hit 37 once. So, I see how those bikes in the park could be a danger on a downhill.

justontime

Good for them, they should be enforcing the speed limit. One of my children (aged 5 at the time) was run down by a bike being ridden on the footpath. He needed hospital treatment and he still has the scars.