Processing meat

Fox38

Do you process your own deer or take it somewhere? I can remember the horror stories my brother in law would tell about when he worked at a deer processing plant. They had about 40 deer every night to get ready! Skin, process, cut up, make sausage etc. Sounds pretty gross to me.

huntergal

I do my own definitely! It has made such a difference in the quality of the meat, and let's face it, I can be more careful and meticulous than a butcher who has 40 more deer waiting to get processed. I'm sure they do an excellent job, but you just don't seem to get the sheer amount of meat from a processor as we get doing it ourselves. Besides, it's not that hard to do...I learned and I am the most girlie girl you can imagine!

EddieK47

Old Yankee
Always do my own.Butchers want them to hang until the meat is solid enough to cut on a band saw.NO on both scenarios!!I never let venison hang longer than it takes for the blood to drain.A day or two weather permiting.Bactera invades the meat and not only dangerous it will make the meat taste strong.A band saw scaters bone fragments over the meat and taintes it!I always bone venison.Just saying and my opinion.

danny28

We take it to my cousin, he has a business processing deer meat. I don't mind paying him to do it. I love the meat but I hate to do the work! I also don't really have the set up to do it.

wvbreamfisherman

Been a while since I've done one, but I much prefer butchering it myself. I STRONGLY second EddieK about boning the meat. NEVER let anyone use a saw to cut thru bone on your deer. Disjoint the sections with a sharp knife or a chisel, and bone the meat out.

Remove every speck of visible fat and silver membrane that you can. It will greatly improve the taste and make the meat last better in the freezer.