Raise your own worms? I do!

Starling

I have an empty sandbox out in the back that I've loaded with regular dirt, compost, and manure. I collect leaves and put them on the pile and then go out and find some worms in the spring and summer. We have a garden so there's always a nice amount of worms to dig up. Get a bunch of them, drop them in the sandbox and voila, your own little worm farm.

I can vouch for my little farm, and you won't believe how big the worms get from all the nutrients in the soil. Just watch over it and cover it up before it rains and you've got your own free bait.

Erwin

I also 'grow my own'. I hav 2 large gardens they like to be in. I never pay for them because mine are bigger than any at the bait shop!

JDSport

I go to my fathers house who has a garden like Erwin does. I remember as a kid going out with a flashlight with my dad late at night to 'catch' them. Such fond memories I hope to share with my sons as they get older!

dinosaur

troublemaker
Ah, yes, nitecrawler hunting. I still do that.

I remember when we used to go nitecrawler hunting in the garden, catch the crawlers, go out the next day and catch the fish, clean them and bury the guts in the garden to grow more worms. The great circle of life.

Joe S.

Wow---is this ever flashing me back in time. My grandfather used to keep earthworms in his basement. He had a special "worm box" that he kept going.

Hayley

I always imagine the worms on the attack. They rise up and come and start slide walking towards their attackers. It's a crazy dream, or nightmare. Maybe that's why I don't fish. :}

striker

I myself shock them out of the ground. Water the ground a little, make sure the fuse will hold and the wire is insulated and it's like shooting fish in a barrel, except they're worms and they are gonna end up as fish bait...

jason

fear no beer
I'm planning on setting up a worm composter this year that will double as fishing worms.

Frederico

Unfortunately I don't have a garden - but I do remember one of my uncles doing something like this back home in Peru in the bottom half of a plastic barrel. us kids used to feed vegetable scraps from the table to his worms. Memories !

ChadTower

I have a big general yard waste bin I set up out of chicken wire. It's probably 5' x 5' square and 3' deep. I don't intentionally farm worms there but it sure is full of them.

I built it and they showed up. :)

Rookie

We just dig in the vegetable garden for our worms, or pick 'em off the driveway after it rains. I never thought of actually growing them...