Sleeps ???

DragonAge

I always find that the estimates for how many people a tent can sleep is too high. Sure if it says and 8 person tent and you all squeeze in it might sleep 8, but not comfortably or with any extra space for stuff. I always subtract 2 from the number.

DThewanderer

I guess it depends on the people and the kind of trip. I find a 2 or 4 man tent is pretty actuate. However, if you are really going to sleep 8 it would have to be the right 8. The tent might get pretty cramped and to cramped for complainers.

Grandpa

Never sleep eight in a tent when seven are boy scouts that had beanie weanie for supper.

LivingToCamp

That's funny Grandpa! I personally think it should be a very large tent if you want to sleep eight in it. I too think it is probably over estimated so would downsize it a little to be safe and comfortable :)

Lamebeaver

Good observation.

One of my favorite tents is an Ozark Trail (Walmart) two person tent. It weights 3.5lbs and has room for me and all my gear. Here's the rub... I'm 5'7 and I need sleep diagonally to fit. I don't know how the &^%#@ they call this a two person tent.

I had a thee preson tent that worked well for the three of us when my kids were little. I suppose you could put three adults in in it, but there would be room for sleeping bags...that's it, and they would have to like each other a lot.

oldmangunner

We had and 8 person tent on a trip we took to Myrtle Beach. there were 7 of us guys until one guy brought his GF. She complained about the space and us guys were all squished together just so she would be comfortable.

twilight

I would be interested to know how many square feet equals room for one person. Oftentimes, there is a big disconnect between sleeping space and the space required for a person and their stuff, not to mention all the stuff that has to come inside when it rains.

briansnat

Platnium Member
Many tents arrive at the number based on a certain arrangement of the people in it. For example I have a 2 person backpacking tent, but the only way my wife and I can fit comfortably is if we sleep opposite ways, meaning our feet by each other's heads.

Most tents assume that sort of arrangement and some 6 and 8 person tents also assume a person or two sleeping perpendicular to the rest of the group.

But I agree, for max comfort use fewer people than the tent is rated for. I usually subtract one. E.g. one person in a two person tent, 2 people in a 3 person tent.

WalkingMan

My daughter would absolutely beat us to death if we slept close. I once woke up after having her in the bed with her diagonally on the bed and I was in one corner with my legs off of the bed. This kid could kill a prowler with no problem if they came upon her when she was sleeping. I have no idea where she gets it. I sleep like a rock and so does her mother.

Grandpa

Got one grandson that does an Anasazi rain dance in his sleep. Put him in one corner of the tent at night and the next morning he'll be in the opposite corner, head first in his sleeping bag with his feet sticking out the top. He does some good whoops and hollers in his sleep while getting rearranged. He is another reason why I went to a solo tent, just big enough for me and the dog. Dog snores bad and I'd kick him out but he's to big and he also scares bears and moose. Don't need bear bells when old dog starts snoring.

Hazel

My Coleman claims to sleep 6. Maybe 6 kids. It can hold 2 queen size mattresses ok, but then there is little room for gear. I find that it is perfect for my 1 queen size mattress, my gear and my bf......unless he starts snoring.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I have a two person walmart dome tent. I have to sleep across the diagonal since I'm 6'2. I would have to be really friendly with another person to sleep in it together. A kid could fit in it easy though. I got a hammock tent recently. Awesome... And no one can ask to share my tent. If my kid wants to go I can get her, her own tent. No worries about someone thrashing and kicking around. She's a terrible bed partner...she beats you to death.

Hikebike

I would agree with you on that one. The ones that say 3-5 people can't really fit 5 people. Heck if you are lucky you can get 3 in there. We bought a 2 room tent for our family of 4. I hate having sleeping bags touching each other.

Bojib

I usually advise people to get a tent size for twice the number of the people that will be sleeping in it. Say, if two people are camping, then a four person tent would be best. Of course, this idea runs in to problems when the number of people grows pretty big, an in that case, I would advise increasing the number of tents.

The reason being is that usually its not just the people that are camping, but their stuff as well. So, that formula has always worked for us, having bigger tents than needed, because then everyone can sleep comfortable plus have room to keep their stuff too.

This thread also reminds me of a time me and three of my friends went camping. We are all pretty good size men, about 6 feet tall and between 200 and 250 pounds. So, definitely not the smallest of guys. One trip one of the guys had gotten a new tent and wanted to try it out, I didn't think to ask the size nor did anyone else, we just knew he said we should all fit in it just fine. That was one of the most miserable nights of camping I can remember. We had rode ATV's into a site, and were several miles from anything comfortable, it was raining so sleeping outside was out of the question. It was a very ill prepared trip, more of a spur of the moment thing. It was the four of us, in a smallish four man tent. We slept shoulder to shoulder, and anytime someone wanted to roll over it was a coordinated effort. You never heard so much complaining.

I have to say though, that trip is as memorable as it was miserable. I guess it's like that old saying "A bad day camping is better than a good day at work".

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
When car camping I like a big tent with plenty room but when I am backpacking I take the smallest I can take. I normally don't want my gear IN the tent anyway. I will leave shoes and a few things in the vestibule, everything else goes on the hang. A 2 person backpacking tent is tight for 2 people but not unmanageable.

Hikenhunter

I think tent companies come up with the numbers based on how many standard therarest sleeping pads they can fit on the floor of the tent. They don't consider extra gear or comfort of the campers. The trick is to make you think you are getting the most tent for theleast amount of money. It's all about advertising

ppine

Forester
People who live on boats have an old saying: "Six for cocktails, four for dinner, and two for overnight." That works pretty well when applied to camping in a tent. Ratings for how many a tent or RV will sleep are designed to sell stuff. Maybe in a bad storm you could fit 8 people in there, but otherwise, why would you?

Once trips go past a weekend, people benefit greatly from some privacy. That is what makes trips relaxing, and allows for re creation.

calanta

I have never really relied on the numbers either but that goes for tons of things now and not just tents. Even a gazebo we put up in the yard says it is good for ten people, none of us are sticks but even fitting 8 in did not happen.