Smallest Game

BTBoop

What is the smallest animal that people hunt for to eat? Do people eat moles? I just don't think I could eat any of these things. What about chipmunks? Could you eat Chip and Dale?

dhoyle

The smallest I'll go is tree squirrel any smaller and it's not worth the effort for the little you get.

dinosaur

troublemaker
The smallest game I will actively hunt is Piney Squirrel. This squirrel is a bout a third the size of a fox squirrel. It's small but very easy to clean and one with potatoes and vegetables makes a dandy meal.

Grandpa

Mourning doves are on the federal migratory game bird list. Breasted out, they make a fine stew but not worth the shotshells to get a meal in my book.

Grandpa

Woodpeckers?
Early January, 1943, a B 23 in a blinding blizzard was supposed to refuel in Boise. In the storm, they missed and ran out of fuel over the central Idaho wilderness. Expecting to crash the pilot took her down through the clouds and suddenly saw a white expanse dead ahead. Loon lake in the Payette NF. He landed on the ice but couldn't stop and slid into the trees ripping the wings off. Only injury was one guy with a broken leg. One box of hershey bars and 2 .45's. Three guys requested leave to try and walk out. They fashioned snowshoes out of willows and webbing from the plane. The other 5 stayed with the plane. 16 days later, a bush pilot spotted their signals. He landed on the ice, took the two worst off guys out, came back the next day for the other three. No word of their three companions. When reaching the airport, the welcoming committee met them with the news that the other three had just reached a Ranger Station that still had the phone lines working.

Over three mountain passes, through 5-25 feet of snow, in the dead of winter, with 9 hershey bars, taking 17 days, and they made it. They survived eating woodpeckers they could catch at night in the trees.

The plane is still there, highly cannabalized for souveniers. And monuments to tell the whole story. Two army air corp pilots with two USFS Rangers died looking for them in separate plane crashes, but they made it.