stupid turkey day

calanta

Half of the family wants to cook as normal the other half wants to eat out buffet setup. Everyone wants me to plan it. Anyone else stuck in the same boat?

Scotty

We don't have to make that decision since we are usually the guests. If given a choice, I would go with a buffet somewhere. Save yourself a bit of effort and just go out. It's too much hassle to have to do the traditions when you can have a nice relaxing dinner out.

jason

fear no beer
Nope, I just visit. Nice and simple that way. Although we are bringing a dish or two. I think it is the desserts this year.

foxylady

I just go where I am told to go. We have never gone to a restaurant though and I wouldn't feel right about going to a restaurant for Thanksgiving anyway. It seems kind of sad to me-a place for people without families.

wvbreamfisherman

My brother and his family are going to his wife's family in NY for Turkey day. Not sure about our plans- it will just be me, my wife and daughter and my Mom. I may make the dinner and have her come up here- about time to start to pay her back for 56 Thanksgivings.

rockytibby

I have gone out to dinner on Thanksgiving, to a very nice place. I enjoyed the whole experience and the food was excellent. The thing about going out for dinner is you dont have all the left overs to be tempted to eat. I say go for the buffet and save yourself alot of trouble and extra pounds from leftovers. I would if everybody would do it.

rockin

No we would never eat out on a holiday. We actually cook together and all meet at one house
Tell someone else to plan it. I hate crazy families around the holidays. I am glad mine is not one.

Lamebeaver

Nope - Family's 1,200 miles away. Just me, the wife, kids and one of my wife's friends. The girls will be drinking beer and watching the Lions and Packers, while I slave in the kitchen.

IndianaHiker

Half of the family wants to cook as normal the other half wants to eat out buffet setup. Everyone wants me to plan it. Anyone else stuck in the same boat?
Well since you are going to upset half the family no matter what you do here is what I think. Since the only thing that the family agrees on is that you should do whatever you want to do. If you want to eat out go for that option. If you want to do the traditional thing then do that. What the heck seems that half of the people wont be thrilled with whatever you pick. Son in the words of Ricky Martin in the song Garden Party "You can't please everybody so you might as well please yourself."

HikerJoe

In the past couple years I've been snowboarding on turkey day. It's a nice break from family as it usually involves arguing, a large fight and me having to bail out my mom and dad from jail the next morning.

Joe S.

Have everybody meet at your house for hors d'oevoures, then go to a restaurant for the main course, then go back home and have desert later. Something for everyone.

Tubby

Good idea Joe S! That should keep everyone happy. I don't like having all of the leftovers around. They are too tempting and I always gain weight through the holidays. I'd much rather go out.

Fox38

Pick what you want to do and do it! To heck with the rest of the family. Shame on them for not being adults and agreeing on something. Thanksgiving is supposed to be a time to be thankful not fighting!

MountainMan22

That sucks you have to be the one to take care of it. I always go to several dinners during Thanksgiving, but I'm always a guest at a family members house. I love it this way, because there is no preparing or cleaning up. It's like a free restaurant!

ejdixon

Thankfully, I've been pretty much one of the guests that come over for Thanksgiving so I don't have to worry about organizing woes like that.

Perhaps what you can do is to write down the choices and then hold one in each hand. Ask one of them to take a pick and then whichever comes up, that's what you go with.

3ofusnow

We never go out, but that certainly seems like less hassle than cooking for everyone. This is actually the first year we have been asked to bring anything. I guess we are "grown-ups" now. ;)

EddieK47

Old Yankee
I may stop by the house to have a little ham and tater but for me I'm hunting!There should be law against holidays during hunting season.