Tent or Cabin???

Thelosthiker

I'm going to mt. charleston in January and i'm taking snowboarding lessons. Hopefully that will be fun. I want to go camping in a tent by myself while my sister and her boyfriend stay in a cabin. Should I either go in a tent by myself, seeing it as a very good experience and its only for one night, or should I just sleep on the floor in their cabin? I am 18 and I'm the only one in my family who is CRAZY about the outdoors and of course I've been camping many times, I just thought what you guys think I should do...

le Metis

I would suggest the tent, using the cabin as a Plan B should the weather turn. Consider taking about half a bale of straw to spread out on the bottom of the tent. It'll make it cushy, and provide an additional layger of insulation... a bale of straw can be picked up at a feed and seed store, and should run around 3 bucks...

Joe S.

I suppose there is really only one way to find out, and that would be to see how you like it in a tent in winter. One way or the other, you'll be able to say you did it!

jloomis

Definitely a tent. Winter camping is awesome and then you can say you have done it. I normally use a 1.5" self inflatable pad for insulation and have been fine near 0 F temperatures in my -20 F rated mummy bag. For colder temperatures adding a closed cell foam pad under the inflatable pad would be a good idea.

Sasha

I would opt for the tent as the plan and at least you have a second place to sleep if you decide you can't/don't want to stand the cold.

YogiBear

I think I would go for the tent too and depending on where you set it up you may be able to put a small heater inside to keep you warm.

Gondor

Tent always if you ask me. In my opinion you have nothing to lose because the cabin is right there in case of severe weather.