Traveling to countries where you don't speak the language?

striker

Do you travel to countries where they don't speak any of the languages you know? I myself do a lot, English being spoken by almost a billion people you'd be hard pressed to not find somebody who speaks it, if all else fails a little sign language always breaches the language barrier :).

campingear

I think with all the apps, translators and books in the libaries, online, offline , everyone should be able to communicate with one another. And then with their eyes as well or the writing or pointing to.

CozInCowtown

That was allways half the fun traveling abroad for me.
Just be patient and friendly and you should have a great time "conversing" with others who do not speak english.
Just do not get frusterated and cop an attitude. You are a foreigner, not them and being an American is not your ticket to being a jerkoff. I have seen this several times in the past.
DC

Trailer

I've always tried to learn enough to get around, or else travelled to places where I had a grasp of the language. I speak several European languages, so can make a good stab at it.

Sasha

I took a cruise to Mexico when I was younger and it was awful. I was hard pressed to find anyone that admitted to knowing English and was given the wrong directions in several instances. I won't be going back until I know Spanish that is for sure!