Using a coke can as a cook pot

Drewglynn

I've always had in mind as a last ditch to use a coke can as a boiling/ cooking container,since they are easy to find and usually in my cooler, so tonight i made a fire and tested it out.. Cut the top most of the way off with the can opener on my multitool, leaving a small flap holding the top portion to use as a lid. Used my multitool to place the can in a good spot of coals, and after I had a boil I poured in some rice, the real kind, not minute rice, lol.. And about 20 min later it was ready,, don't think the can would be a lifelong cookpot, but I think I could get a few more meals out of it.. Any other similar ideas?

Michael

Last weekend, my brothers and I cooked some wild mushrooms in an Arizona can. We had the marinade from some chicken we'd cooked earlier, and poured it in with the mushrooms. We poked a hole toward the top of the can so that we could use that to grab it out of the fire pit.

Holy crap, those were good mushrooms. They sucked up the marinade like crazy, and they tasted amazing.

Now, the can wasn't in amazing condition after, but we could have cooked another couple of things in it. The metals cans are made out of materials that transfer heat very quickly to the stuff inside, so as long as they have things in them (especially liquid, to maximize surface area) they don't burn too badly.

So not the perfect pot, but completely workable.