What's your most interesting hike?

Thelosthiker

Remember the time when you tripped into a puddle... oh wait that was me. haha. What's your story on that one, or many, interesting hikes?

waverider365

I love to hike but I don't get to do it much, the most recent interesting hike was the Manoa Falls trail, it is a pretty easy hike that leads to the falls, you can stop at the falls or take another detour which will take you on a little more dangerous path but will take you to the top of the mountain and to a beautiful panoramic view. Just note that because its deep in a valley theres a lot of rainy days and it has such lush vegetation that the sun doesn't get a chance to really dry up all the mud before the next rain so don't wear anything you don't want to get dirty.

Attachments

Thelosthiker

I don't get to hike much either. I am the only one in my family that really Loves the outdoors. The only time I get to go hiking is when we go camping, which is only once a year...
That's a really nice picture too!! Must have been a nice hike with beautiful views. I've never seen a waterfall in person before :(

Jobiwan

While backpacking a 25 mile section of Vt's Long Trail, I came across an area of the trail that was tore up by some cows. As a member of the Green Mnt Club, I took some pictures to send to that sections Trail/Shelter Coordinator. When I looked up, a bull was staring me down. We both froze stiff, anticipating each others move. I finally yelled boo and wave my walking stick and he scurried off the trail about 15 yards only to notice another bull. They both watched me closely as I snapped a pic of them as I passed.

I have many miles under my feet and It's not uncommon for me to see wildlife. I jump birds, deer and little fuzzies like squirrels, chimpers, rabbits etc quite often but never bulls

Attachments

Thelosthiker

That's COOL!!! I hardly get to see any kind of wildlife when i'm hiking. I never thought of seeing a cow ahahah. The only things i've seen are big horn sheep, deer, and squirrels. I saw a mountain lion's track but that was all, pretty cool to see too.

coffeehubby

I am new here, helllo everybody! My favorite hike was when we were in a youth group in Casper wyoming hiking in the Tetons for about ten days. We kept each other going and saw alot of amazing country, heard coyotes, saw eagles and hawks ( that was rare for me then). It was great to not see any highways or signs of civilization.
I also enjoyed hiking Roan Mountian on the North Carolina-TN border. I was with a couple of friends from Minnesota, we only hiked overnight one day but it was fun.

Thelosthiker

Hi Coffeehubby! I just joined not too long ago too :) That sounds like a really nice getaway!! ive never even heard coyotes, or see eagles or hawks, that must've been cool.

le Metis

I've had several - the first was a two week trek following the equator across Kenya - spending nights in bomas when I couldn't make a village for the night.

the El Camino Diablo - extemly dangerous, requiring pre staging water, and backpacking armed...

and a short walk about, backpacking from Perth, to the Pinacles, via York for a stay on the Avon River...

ADK Ann

Favorite hike

I think my favorite hike is usually the last one I took. However, once I was alone on an old road in the woods and what comes out of the woods in front of me are two dogs (I think they were pit bulls). I stopped and considered just walking backwards and getting away from them. Then I looked behind me. Another dog! We all stared at each other. I knew I couldn't outrun them so I just got to one side of the road and said in a VERY loud voice, "GET HOME! GET HOME! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE? GET HOME!". The one behind me joined the others and they all turned around and walked down the road.

Poppi

Hiking at Quechee State Park, VT.

We were camping at Quechee State Park in Vt. in September of this year.
It is right near Quechee Gorge which is called the Grand Canyon of Vt.
So beautiful.
Anyway, in the Park campground there is a hiking trail through the forest to the bottom of the gorge. It is only about a half a mile trail.
My husband and I and our toy Poodle, Dixee, went on the hike.
It was absolutely breathtaking. Through the dense forest, up and down steep trails. Some were pretty slippery. You just have to have the right footwear on.
When we were getting closer to the gorge we could hear the rush of the water. It was a nice experience.
Going back to the campsite was a little easier. You don't have to go back the same way. there is an alternate way back.
I would love to do this again.

Last edited:

Jobiwan

Quechee Gorge is an awesome area! I'm quite familiar with the trail at the state park but there are many more in that area. I used to hike it years ago, but I can't now due to the loss of a friend who decided to take his life by jumping off the bridge (163 foot drop) four years ago.

Flatlander

The best day of hiking I ever had was while pontooning around Boundary Waters. I know, "doesn't sound like a hike." But we would tie the boat up and wander islands as we tried desperately to get lost on the lakes (probably the easiest thing I've ever done!). On one of our forays ashore we saw these things in a matter of about 15 minutes: first we watched a doe and fawn wander into the lake to get a drink 30 ft from us; second we saw a falcon take a small northern pike from the lake less than 10 ft from shore; lastly we watched as a male bald eagle landed in a tree across a finger bay from us. He was returning to the nest which had a yearling perched on its edge.

DahrkDaiz

My most interesting hike is two: on my longest hike going up to Thunderhead in the Smoky Mountains, my friend and I came across a doe on Bote Mountain Trail. We had no choice but to follow it from a distance and it became very suspicious of us. After about half an hour it hopped into the trees and once we passed it, it started to follow us! It followed us for a good 1.5 miles or so until we came to a trail crossing where it went down to a watering hole. We figured it was used to humans and wanted some food from us. Of course we didn't obliged to her.

The other was my previous hike. It was my first solo hike ever and it was 21 or so miles in Tremont in the Smoky Mountains. I had never hiked that much in the snow, but it was the first snow of the season. It was predicted to snow above 3000 feet and most of my planned trail was under that (maybe 2 or 3 hours above it). Well, they were wrong :p I came across snow within an hour. It was fine until I reached Meigs Creek Trail, which I failed to look up and find out it has 18 creek crossings that are dangerous when swollen (and with melting snow, they were). I had several dangerous crossings, then I came to Jakes Creek where I gained I believe 2000 feet in 2.9 miles, in sleet and about 4 inches of snow. Which, I was unprepared for hence my tennis shoes I was wearing. At one point I had to change my socks and there was no place to sit, so leaning against a tree I went to put my shoe back on only to have it slip out of my hand and fall off the edge, getting caught on a branch about 10 feet down. I eventually said "screw it" and monkey crawled down, threw it back up and scrambled back up. At this point I felt pretty miserable. Once I got to the peak of my hike, I had to go down a horse trail with fresh powder snow, mud and leaves. Once I got to the end, I had a large stream crossing that was swollen, water up to my knees, no rock hopping available. Needless to say, it was a challenging hike, my most miserable yet, but I learned a lot of lessons in being prepared for anything.