Do you ever worry about theft?

JeepThrills

A friend of mine likes to take her daschund with her when she goes camping. She told me that the last time they went it was cool enough for them to leave the dog in the tent while they went hiking.

Although valuables can be replaced, I would never ever leave my dog in a tent unattended. I was wondering what others think about this?

Fox & Hounds

I wouldn't do that. I never leave my boys unattended when I am camping. Too many things can happen.
More so, I couldn't do that. They would claw their way through the fabric if I tried to leave them alone in my tent.

ppine

Forester
Take your dogs with you. Dachies can hike all day just like Corgies.

I have had things like rifles and axes stolen over the years. I wouldn't leave a generator for instance unattended. I wouldn't buy a Yeti cooler because it might get stolen. I would never leave a pet alone and go hiking.

Last edited:

bsmit212

I am with all of them. First, even on cool days tents get hot, specially if they have a rain fly on them. Second, I would worry too much about her clawing her way out of the tent and destoring it. Lastly, my pup loves being on the trail too much to leave her behind.

Grandpa

Oh, and if it is theft your friend was worried about, my dog is a terrific "Watch Dog". Durn mutt would just lay there and "watch" them steal whole camp. :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
My Cairn terrier would throw a fit if left behind but we would never do that. In any case if someone were to somehow stumble across one of our backcountry camps that we keep well hidden and miles off any track or trail, this dog would let them have what they wanted as long as they gave him a good treat or two.

I’d never leave him in a tent or out of arms reach in the country we travel…lions and jaguars and coyotes…oh my. I ain’t kiddin neither. I can show you some rather graphic pictures of a lion’s work, several different kill sites we have stumbled across in fact but they are something that might turn a solo or even a small group into someone who attends the ballet or a theme park instead of going into the backcountry.

firedancer

No way - first of all, my dog would scratch or bite his way out if he thought he could. And he could be prey for something larger. Bad idea. When I go on trips that my dog can't participate in, he stays in a nice comfy boarding facility.

Judy Ann

There is no way my dog would stay behind once the backpack is picked up! My little one will be at puppy camp (boarded) when she can't go with me on a few adventures this year. Gives new meaning to solo trips for me. :-(

Judy Ann

No way - first of all, my dog would scratch or bite his way out if he thought he could. And he could be prey for something larger. Bad idea. When I go on trips that my dog can't participate in, he stays in a nice comfy boarding facility.
Do you travel with your pup and board him when necessary along the way? I'm thinking that might be an alternative option for a trip out west this year where I won't be home for close to a month.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Although valuables can be replaced, I would never ever leave my dog in a tent unattended.
There are two possible interpretations here. Either the dog is guarding the valuables or the dog is the valuable.

No matter what our court system says, one cannot "replace" a dog. My gear can be replaced. My dog is my companion, not my property. He comes with me and we protect eachother, and have fun.

From the song "Mr. Bojangles": The dog up and died. He up and died. And after thirty years he still grieves.

Last edited:

JeepThrills

Do you travel with your pup and board him when necessary along the way? I'm thinking that might be an alternative option for a trip out west this year where I won't be home for close to a month.
Have you considered hiring a pet sitter and letting your dog stay home? I would be really uncomfortable putting my dog in very many strange places. I'm thinking it would be pretty traumatic for a dog to go through that.

Grandpa

We are fortunate to have neighbors we can trust. So, when we are gone for extended trips, Tank gets to stay home where he is comfortable. And the neighbors designated kid gets a healthy boost to his allowance.

firedancer

Yes, I've done that too! Two years ago when I went to Glacier, my dog rode out with me, I boarded him in Great Falls for a week and then after I picked him up, we spent another week in Yellowstone/Tetons/Colorado. (My profile pic is from a Colorado hike that week)

I've never been the kind of person who likes to impose on people (i.e. ask a neighbor to watch my dog) and I've sometimes had jobs that included a lot of travel, so boarding has always been a part of my dog's life. I have always chosen a nice place (with lots of playtime when he was younger.) I've never felt guilty about boarding him because I know he's well taken care of, and he is never traumatized when I drop him off or pick him up.

Judy Ann

My dog has also been raised to be boarded in reputable places on my travels. Additionally, she stays in a day care center in a couple of towns, enjoys being near other dogs, and stays with me at night. She likes to travel and sleeps quietly next to me when out on the highway.

I'd rather board her for a week nearby while backpacking with a group and pick her up so she can continue on a journey with me than leave her home for an extended period of time. I'm not one to impose on others either, but even if I was, a month is too long to be without my best girl!

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I hate dogs, so the theft of one would never be a worry of mine. However, after two pages no one has really offered up any theories or advice on the theft of regular objects. After all, dogs run around and make noise. My backpack, iPod or tent won't make any noise as they are being carried off while I'm sleeping, pooping or swimming.
The old "valuables can be replaced" argument is ridiculous. They are MY valuables, I shouldn't have to replace them because some dirtbag stole them.

Judy Ann

I don't worry about valuables being stolen because I either leave them at home, lock them in the car, or have them on me in a daypack. If I was that worried about someone stealing my tent and supplies I would not be out by myself camping.

I am more concerned about mentally unstable people who might want to harm me or a bear stealing my food. There really is no place for paranoid thoughts when out alone in the wilderness. It would be a miserable trip for me if I was excessively fearful.

That being said, if I set up my tent in a forest and someone stole it, I'd have my 10 essentials on me and would make it back to the car. The whole time hiking back I'd be kicking myself for being trusting, cussing them out for taking it, figure out that they must have needed it more than me, and by the time I got home I'd have decided which one of the tents I'd been drooling over in the store to get next.

If someone stole my dog however, I'd be tracking down some sorry a** person with a serious case of don't mess with this girl on my mind. ;-) She is not an object that I can
replace at Best Buy or the local sporting goods store. That's my dog on my avatar. We were 8 miles out on a day hike on the AT and she's looking in the pack for some food! Please notice that she is leashed and the poop bags tied to the handle. Responsible pet owner here.

Last edited:

WinterWolf

You'd have to be one shady dude to steal somebodies dog, but I still wouldn't leave it in the tent, as everyone else was saying, there's the potential for way too much to happen.

BGreen

I feel my dog is safer with me than he would be at the campsite. I don't like leaving him penned up or tied up anywhere in the outdoors. He'd be defenseless if some creature came upon him. Inside the hot tent is not an option either.

dinosaur

troublemaker
After all, dogs run around and make noise.
My "dog" is a Red Wolf. He won't make any noise if you come in my camp uninvited. You can even pick up some of my stuff. You can pack it into a bag or a box. You can eat some of my food. You just can't leave.