Camping Tools and Knives

Davefromva

Tool-Shed
Just for kicks lets post pics and descriptions of our Knives and Camping tools we take on our outdoor excursions. (Just your knives and whatever type of tools you bring) If you can please explain your tools and what you use them for.

I'm willing to bet there are some seasoned vets on here that have some really good tool ideas to share. Or at the very least some Interesting Knives with stories behind them.

Exact name and brand of item would be really nice to include in the post.

Lamebeaver

I carry a Victoronix Recruit. I have never needed anything more. Small blade, large blade, small and large screwdriver, can opener, bottle opener, tweezers, toothpick.

If I'm fishing, I will bring a fillet knife.

ppine

Forester
I have a collection of axes, adzes, broad axes and other tools. I inherited some good old WWII knives made by some obscure factories in NY state. I have some really old Shefield carbon steel knives with antler handles, etc. For everyday, a Moore Maker pocket knife from Texas, and a few handmade sheath knives. My Dad used to bring me knives from his travels to Africa. I use machetes from Nicauraga arond the yard.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
When on foot, backpacking which is about all we ever do there are several tools that are essential for me. This is subjective of course and will not apply for everyone.

I have broken enough of those plastic trowels so when I found a Mont Bell Scoop I scooped it up, never been able to damage it.

As far as edged tools go, in recent times and in fact just last week during a backcountry wilderness foray I have lived with the bottom two in this image;

Middle is the paring knife that does all the culinary work. We actually cook when out there, at least for dinner we do more than just boil. It cuts up zucchini, carrots and slices the shallots that go in our home made dry dinner mixes. We find if we eat some fresh veggies that our endurance lasts a lot longer over the end portion of the backpack trip. It also carved up a pre-cooked chicken I got at a market on the way home.

The bottom tool, the Leatherman Charge AL is a tool that I will use for the can opener, diamond file, small scissors and the blades at various times over a trip. The pliers have extracted some wicked cactus spines out of my hide as well as girlfriend and my dog.

We do up to five boils a day on the stove, one for morning tea or coffee, again for tea at lunch followed by soup. For dinner to cook our main meal and maybe chocolate pudding followed by some peppermint tea in the dark while watching the stars. The Swedish firesteel has always fired up the stove every time in any weather. Upper left corner;

Another essential is my Surefire Saint Minimus headlamp that dials up to a very bright beam for those times one needs a momentary blast of intense light, down to medium intensity when doing most foot travel in the dark and way down to very low for reading or close work around camp.

If I were to travel through a different country than the desert or had special concerns for a particular trip, I'd add what seemed a good idea at the time.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Nice post, ghostdog...wish I knew how to do that.

I have a small Smith & Wesson pocket knife; a Winchester multi-tool with lots of useful stuff; a Junglee tanto sheath knife with a very sharp blade and serrated top edge; and an Ontario Knife machette with a knuckle guard.

Don't use any of them a lot, but it's sure nice to have them when needed.

Rarely have need for a hatchet anymore, but should again start carrying a small axe in the UTE, just in case (limbs in the roadway, etc.).

Barney

Hey, nice idea for a post. I'll upload some pics later. I use ColdSteel Recon I folder knife and a range of Mora knives like Classic #2, Companion (former Clipper). For tools, this thread has to be so long... But to mention some, Sawvivor folding saw and range of small axes and tomahawks.

Davefromva

Tool-Shed
Hey, nice idea for a post. I'll upload some pics later. I use ColdSteel Recon I folder knife and a range of Mora knives like Classic #2, Companion (former Clipper). For tools, this thread has to be so long... But to mention some, Sawvivor folding saw and range of small axes and tomahawks.
Awesome, yeah basically I was just looking for people to post their main "Go-To" tools and knives when they are out in the wild.

Marshmallow

I've already gotten two ideas for Christmas presents in this thread. Thanks for posting them. I do have some grandchildren who are doing more camping and wilderness hiking than I am doing at this stage in my life. I love the fire-starting suggestions.

Judy Ann

I aways carry a mini Victoronix knife, but recently started carrying a SOG powerlock, SOG Revolving saw/blade and a SOG Fasthawk that I won here. I like the idea of having more instruments on hand in the backcountry than a miniblade, scissors, file and toothpick!

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
Hi...

Nice post, ghostdog...wish I knew how to do that.
Pathfinder it is fairly easy to post your own images. You just need to find a place on the net to upload the image and then copy the location (Ctrl C), look up at the little icon that has a little mountain in it up top of the posting dialog box, click that and paste your image location where it says to (Ctrl V). Or I have been doing it long enough that I just type the code in; {img}image location{/img}. Just use square brackets instead of the curly brackets. Now the easiest for someone who does not want to keep an online album is to click on the Paperclip icon above in the posting dialog box and simply browse to the image on your own computer. Try it. It works and once you take the time, you will know how to do it every time.

You can do the same thing for a link with the Link icon above but if you want to give the link a short name you will have to type code again but again, once you take a few moments to learn the code you can do it fast every time.

You will be an ace at this in no time.

Dude

The knife that I carry when backpacking is one given to me by my father. It has no writing on it, he never told me a brand. All I know is that it has lasted and lasted...it has also proved itself of being extremely durable and reliable on several occasions.

I also carry an ancient stainless steel spork that my dad gave me as well! A lot of my gear came from him. It's not particularly light, but it does the job, and it does it well.

Michael

My most indispensable tool is probably my Victorinox Trail Master. The large blade, small blade, and wood saw probably get the most use, but it's also nice to have a bottle opener, can opener, awl, scissors, and a variety of screwdrivers. I don't use the tweezers often, but they're good for removing splinters, so I'm always happy to have them handy.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
Most of my backpacking is on horseback and packmules after elk.
Other than that it is camping with the wife and kids in the 5thwheel.
DC
I get the picture now. Makes sense. I know trail crews and fire crews will hump in heavy tools by foot. I have a good list of heavier, larger tools in the vehicle too.

oldsarge

Don't have a lot of pictures of everything I have so this will have to do. The knife in the sheath is a Buck Night Hawk, mounted on the sheath is a survival kit with the basics. The knife without a sheath is a copy of the Tracker knife designed by Tom Brown. I made my own for testing prior to buying one. The're kind of pricey and once it's purchased it's not something you can unload easily if you don't like it. So far it's a nice field knife/tool. I may buy the real thing someday. The map case was made from an Army VS17 signal panel, going for that high visibility look. I've had that map case work it's way out of my pocket once, it's was easy to spot once I backtracked. Same for the compass cases.

I also carry a Swiss Army Swiss Champ, a Gerber multi tool and a Cold Steel El Homre in a plain blade.

Last edited: