Good age to start camping

Ventura

What is a good age for children to go on a camping trip? I wouldn't take an infant, but I am wondering if taking toddlers on a camping trip may be a bad idea?

Marshmallow

Our kids went on their first camping trips when they were a year old, but that was because we always take our kids camping in this family. The aunts and uncles all pitch in with the younger kids, as do the cousins.

Grandpa

Backpacked my oldest daughter in the Sawtooths at 6 months.

Infants were camping around here long before the white man came.

It all depends on your training and skills, not theirs. If you are very familiar with camping they will be fine.

TroyS

There is a similar thread about this here in the forum that you can check out: http://www.outdoorbasecamp.com/forum/f94/age-8435/

For me, it depends on the parents' ability to take care of the kid while they are camping. I got my kids started camping when my youngest was 2 since it was only then when my wife felt comfortable to bring the kids camping. I know there are some people here that have started their kids camping much sooner.

Barney

We took our kids when they were 4 years old. That is very young and you can't do anything really interesting or hike through but I'm sure they will remember it.

Ventura

Grandpa - wow 6 months! That's amazing! But I think you have a point, it all depends on how comfortable we are with camping and we are pretty much newbies. Luckily our kids are slightly past the infancy stage!

Grandpa

The packs have come a long way since then. I've seen several couples on the backpacking trails with infants the last few years. Back then, I had a chest mounted kid pak for daughter and backpack on my back. Diapers were the biggest issue but we used the old cloth ones and washed them out each night.

Now they have neat backpacks with shades for the kid and room for the gear all in one. The baby has much better protection than what we had. But she loved every minute of it. It has been a long time but I don't remember her fussing or crying once the whole 3 days.

FlanneryCam

It depends where you're going camping. If you're going somewhere safe, and you are going to be watching todlers like todlers need to be watched, bring them along!

I started going camping as a young kid and that instilled a love of the outdoors and a love of sleeping in a tent in the rain.

:) go camping! Have fun while they're little and they have to come with you!

ejdixon

Completely agree with Grandpa and Troy. Majority of it depends on the parents. If they are really seasoned campers, then it's quite fine for them to bring kids as young as six months to camping. Personally, I wouldn't consider taking kids younger than that 'coz their immune system might not yet be strong enough to withstand the outdoors.

Yab9

My old folks told me the first time I went camping I was 3. They were campers themselves and inspires me to like camping as well. I have seen toddlers on camping trips with their parents and they seemed fine, they were having a blast playing on the grass. I think if your kid is healthy you can camp with him/her with no problems even if you have a toddler.

Gus

Tent Camper
Geez... I'm sure I'm going to get beat-up on this one, but....

The question would seem to be why are you taking them camping? If it is because you don't want to be away from them, or don't have the option of reliable care while you are away - then I can see the infants and babies going along - as long, (as mentioned) the adults are prepared and capable.

but... if the reason is to "expose them to the beauty of nature," well, that's different. Of course it could just be me, but try as I might, my earliest memories only go back to 4 or 5 years old - maybe some of you folks can remember when you started crawling - not me.

So if a kid isn't going to remember it... then why? I would think that 4 or 5 would be the earliest to take kids camping - for the purpose of experience and learning, and of course the fun. Anything sooner than that would seem like it's more for you than the kids.

Gus
Gus
"Of course I trust my political representatives ... just not with my liberties or my wallet" :Camping with Gus

Judy Ann

It always amazes me when I see young parents camping with a brood of children, some only months old. It makes me happy to see everyone having a great time and watching the older (5, 4, 2 year old) children helping momma out at the end of the day with the baby. Watching one parent swinging in a hammock at bedtime with a child on each arm reading a book and hearing another inside a tent singing a lullaby just makes my own camping experience that much more special...and then there are the wild children running all over the place late at night while the parents pay them no mind and me and the old dog need to get to sleep. Grrrrrrrrr

Grandpa

They may not remember the trip itself but the bonding is forever....trust me:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

ponderosa

They may not remember the trip itself but the bonding is forever....trust me:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
So true. Family togetherness is always a good thing, regardless of whether the baby can remember it when she's grown. No one would suggest that it's pointless to play with a baby because they won't remember it. You do it because it's fun in the moment. I promise you, my little girls have always had fun when they're outside with us. I don't know any six month old baby who wouldn't be entertained by watching a squirrel play, or splashing in a stream with Daddy.

Besides, my youngest is just three, but one of her favorite games since she was barely two years old has been pretending to go on a hike. All summer she and her 4 year old sister pretended that their wading pool was a lake. They "fished" with sticks & string. They built a fire ring with rocks and made pretend camp fires from pine cones & sticks. Then they'd grab their little backpacks & binoculars and go for hikes around the backyard. It matters little to me that they may not have memories of every trip & hike they've been on since infancy. Clearly, their impressionable little personalities are learning to love being outside and exploring nature. Good enough for me.

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
Families camp together because it is a way of life. For many of us it is what we do, and a big part of who we are, and it has been that way for generations.

I disagree with the arguement about immune systems not being developed enough to take infants in the outdoors. The outdoor environment is awash with fresh air, ultra-violet light and rain keeping it clean.

Last edited:

CozInCowtown

We were camping with infants as soon as mom was up to the task. We camper camp so no real exposure to the elements per se.
Even though my daughters idea of roughing it is no valet she still has been camping all her life.
It all depends on tthe individual parents IMO.
DC

Grandpa

Another picture stolen from my nephew hiking with his granddaughter. Tell me the little ones don't enjoy the outdoors.

[/IMG]

TroyS

A picture is definitely worth a thousand words. Such a precious picture, Grandpa! She's so adorable.