My mom is disabled and wants to go camping, any adivce?

Penelope

My mom wants to go camping this summer. The only problem is that she recently hurt her back and cannot sleep on a cot or in a sleeping bag because she needs a softer surface. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for me. I would hate her to miss out because of her back injury.

Newanderthal

at home, test a thermarest self-inflating camp pad, air mattress, etc. Find something that works before going to the woods. Then, find a camp site you can park nearby so she doesn't have far to walk.

DuctTape

Possibly a hammock. Doesn't get any softer than pure air. There are many who use a hammock due to back injury, as it is the only way for them to sleep.

Lorax

Inflatable mattress and use a battery pump.

Also, reserve a state park campsite that is a handicap site for more open area and more even ground for her to walk on perhaps?

ppine

Forester
Multiple thermarests maybe. Less chances of a leak. Good furniture. Flat campsite.

edit- How about a cot? My adivce is to figure out a way to get her out there. You will both be rewarded.

Last edited:

Judy Ann

An air mattress can be adjusted to the perfect degree of support and is easily found. My Coleman lasted about 150 nights for less than $40 (twin). I would not recommend the Quest brand that Target sells.

Every state park in my neck of the woods has a couple of handicapped sites, however most sites are designed to back into and open the trunk making car camping easypeasy. I would not advise a site where she has to carry in her desired possessions for any distance.

Grandpa

Having just had recent surgerys, I can attest that finding a suitable sleeping surface is the easy part. Getting down on or up from the ground would be agonizing. Even the act of getting into or out of the hammock would be difficult with that back.

I suggest some kind of recliner or glider chair, with a thermarest or underquilt under the body and a good bag as a quilt over the body.

Judy Ann

Ouch Grandpa!!! I had visions of the Beverly Hillbillies and Granny riding in a rocking chair in the back of the truck after reading your post. If anyone is in so much discomfort that they cannot sleep on a 6 inch air mattress and get up by themselves, then the family will have to be very creative!

Grandpa, I hope that your recovery is going well. If Grandma sets up a recliner in the back pasture for you to sleep in please have her take a picture. I need to see that UQ and and overstuffed bag with my own two eyes!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Grandpa

Recovery is going great Judy. I fully expect to come off the disabled list in two weeks. Grandma has already relinquished firewood duty back to me. But she is still manning the snow shovel. She is out there right now removing last nights 9 1/2 inches (she measured) off the porch. But that recliner was the only place I could sleep for about two weeks.

As for Penelopes Mom, it depends how much flex she has in her body. I know there is no way I could have got down on my thermarest or back up on my feet alone.

ibgary

Most state and national parks have sites that r ADA compliant. It shouldn't be a problem. Make a reservation and have her disability tag # available so you can reserve an ADA site. ADA sites are often cheaper than regular sites because disabled people frequently get a discount.
For sleeping try a hammock.

TroyS

An air mattress might do the trick. I injured my back a few years back and every now and then, it still smarts, especially in the cold. Found that an air mattress gave me the most support I need for my back when I sleep.

Speaking of which, why not also schedule a trip so that you can join her? That way, at least you can also keep an eye on her to make sure that she's okay and having a great time. Just a thought.

ponderosa

Whar about a state park that has rentals for yurts or simple cabins? They typically have bunks. Or I have known people who throw a real bed mattress in the back of the truck or suv.

swebob

My mom wants to go camping this summer. The only problem is that she recently hurt her back and cannot sleep on a cot or in a sleeping bag because she needs a softer surface. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for me. I would hate her to miss out because of her back injury.

My girlfriend has a bad back along with a electronic spinalcord stimulater installed in her back. I have 2 Aerobeds we sleep on and she actually tells me the airbed sleeps better then the mattress she has. She never has a complaint when camping and sleeping at night. I think she will just have to give it a try to see what works. Hope everything works out for you all. Happy camping.. You can also add a l foam pad on top of the air matress

woodsman

My back is fine and I use an inflatable mattress whenever I go car camping. It's almost as comfortable as a regular one, it also insulates you from the ground quite well.

briansnat

Platnium Member
My wife has a bad back and we started with a Thermarest, then a thicker Thermarest then went to Big Agnes air mattress. None of it worked. Then we went with a hammock and that is the only thing that keeps her camping these days. She says she sleeps more comfortably in the hammock than she does in our bed at home. She joked about setting it up in our bedroom.

JeepThrills

An air mattress with a foam pad works best for me.
I was going to suggest a foam pad too. You do need to know, however, that some of them take up a lot of space once they are open and don't fold up very well. This should not be a problem if you are able to park near the campsite.