DRINKING WATER

Grandpa

I seldom carry more than one liter. Exception is when traveling in the desert. I filter as I go.

Simplify

In the desert I carry enough water for two days which gives me two days to find at least a small pool out there. If I can't find anything after two days I have to turn around. When hiking in forested areas with plenty of water I will only carry one bottle with me to keep the backpack weight down and use either boiling or my filter pump.

bsmit212

I normally carry more than 2 litters in my camlebak. I also carry two empty nalgene for camp use and if I am going to be long distance without a source, rare in southern appalachian.

Hikenhunter

I normally carry 2 quarts from home and a filter so I can keep filling them as I go. I usually carry 2 empty quart bottles for use in camp or if distance between water sources warrants that I carry more than 2 quarts.

ppine

Forester
This seems like an odd post by pathfinder. "for those of you that like to drink water."??????
I can get by for a day with what I bring, after that I depend on the country. The amount to carry completely depends on where you are and what time of year. Somewhere between one liter and two gallons. Like to bring a filter for warm day trips so the water is cold when I drink it.

Pathfinder1

This seems like an odd post by pathfinder. "for those of you that like to drink water."??????
I can get by for a day with what I bring, after that I depend on the country. The amount to carry completely depends on where you are and what time of year. Somewhere between one liter and two gallons. Like to bring a filter for warm day trips so the water is cold when I drink it.

Hi...
An Interesting faux pas there, eh...?? Guess that one was on me...!! Perhaps I was thinking about any boozers out there...!! And some half-day packers...soda, beer, sports drinks, etc. Anyway, thanks for bringing that to my attention...!!

ppine

Forester
We are in our fourth year of drought in the Sierras. Last August I was backpacking with my close friend and our 3 dogs. On a day trip, we were looking for water in a couple of drainages that normally carried water. We could not find any. I found a wet spot and was getting ready to start digging when I realized the dogs found the only flowing water. I heard lapping around the bend. Another time on the same hike the dogs climbed down into a willow thicket and found another pool of water. They are handy if you pay attention to their habits.