2 Sets of Field Guides

hydethebeef

I was shopping with a friend when I noticed he picked up two copies of a particular field guide. They were exactly the same. He said his wife required they had one copy that was kept nice and never left the house and a second copy that was taken out in the field. Does anyone else do this; I know we don't!

oldsarge

Not a bad idea if you want one in the field with you, who knows what can happen to it. If there was a particular book I wanted to bring with me, I can see the logic in having an extra one to keep in good condition. What was the filed guide? Maybe I'll pick up a couple!

Barney

I do this all the time. I can't say it's normal but I'm a collector basically. I love to have a copy of certain gear that will stay home unused and new and other that I'll bring in the field with me.

Grandpa

I don't buy two as a rule but if I get a good one to take into the field, I'll go back and get a second just to have. Field use can get pretty rough on a book and good books sell quickly. Sounds like your friend has similar experience.

oldmangunner

I don't buy two as a rule either. I do have two copies of many of the field guides because a lot of people give them to me as presents. It is very nice to have a couple of each.

oldsarge

If I'm golfing I wear two pairs of pants............in case I get a hole in one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Malarkey

I will double stock on things that are either hard to find or will be discontinued soon by the manufacturer. Also, some things are just worth having a pair.

Zelda

Funny

If I'm golfing I wear two pairs of pants............in case I get a hole in one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is too funny! I only have two field guides total, and they were both presents. I plan to get more, but I don't know where to start.

ponderosa

It hasn't ever occured to me to buy two copies, but thinking about the ragged well-used condition of my favorite bird and flower/berry/tree guides, it might be a good idea!

Grandpa

That is too funny! I only have two field guides total, and they were both presents. I plan to get more, but I don't know where to start.
Start with Amazon. They have everything if you know what you want. Check out the "Falcon Guide" books. They have expanded to a lot of outdoor stuff. I'm not saying they are the best on any one topic but they sure do you give you an overall assortment.

Grandpa

It hasn't ever occured to me to buy two copies, but thinking about the ragged well-used condition of my favorite bird and flower/berry/tree guides, it might be a good idea!
Kind of like my "Hiking Idaho" by Maughn. It's so broken up, I keep the pages in a folder now.

ponderosa

Kind of like my "Hiking Idaho" by Maughn. It's so broken up, I keep the pages in a folder now.
Funny, I actually DO have two copies of that one. I don't know how that happened exactly. One is dog-eared and worn, the other is in lovely condition on my book shelf.

Grandpa

Grandma and I gave each other a copy of Darcy Williamson's "Healing plants of the Pacific Northwest" for Christmas a couple of years ago. Funny because we both had to do a double take and check the tag thinking we had made a mistake.