A Knotty Thing to Do

Northern Dancer

If someone were to give me a camp skills evaluation which skill do you think I'd fail? Yep...that's it! Knots. I don't know why other than I don't seem to have a lot of manual dexterity. But they are important if you are taking your outdoor skills seriously. Each knot is designed for a particular purpose and can be helpful. The ones that I seem to use the most would include the following:

BOWLINE
A bowline knot is used for rescue. The knot forms an open loop that is easy for one to grab onto and be pulled up out of a dangerous situation.
SHEEP BEND
Used for tying ropes of different materials together.
TAUT LINE
A taut hitch is used on ropes that are pulled taut. A common use of this knot is for a rope that holds a tent secure to the ground. A taut line hitch can be tightened or loosened by pushing it up or down on the part of the rope that is standing.

Mom used to say, "Anything you want to learn about anything, is already written in a book."
There are lots of books and knot cards you can purchase just about everywhere.

Roybrew

I know 3 knots very well. I use two of them for securing the canoe down. The first one I learned was the bow line knotResize_20240502_031650_0880.jpg
I'll tie this one first to the roof rack rail that the canoe will be sitting on. Then throw the long end over the canoe, tie a slip knot loop midways, run the loose end around the roof rack rail, and then up thru the loop at midways, pull it down tight and tie a half hitch to keep it from coming loose. I believe that's called a truckers hitchResize_20240502_031650_0431.jpg
A couple of these trucker hitches, a person can really put the squeeze on som

I've just recently learned the tautline hitch. Resize_20240502_031651_1243.jpg
I just recently used this one for hanging my shop light. That way I can raise or lower it as needed. Resize_20240502_033746_6042~2.jpg
I hung it from the other canoe. I could slide the knot up or down to adjust the height

ppine

Forester
I grew up on the water. Dad was in the Navy and was very particular about knots and splicing lines.
Mule packing is another set of knots that come easily. Saling requires a bunch of knots.
Now I work with horses and stay in tune.
The right knot is really useful.
Sheet bend.