Anyone here make your own DIY gear?

gear-report

Gear junkie
I'm new here and curious if anyone here makes their own gear?
I make alcohol stoves, tarps, hammocks, even made a backpack.

If so, what do you make?

Gondor

Hey, I don't make gear from scratch but I improve existing stuff. There are rarely perfect products out there, even from best brands and I like to change them to suit my own style.

gear-report

Gear junkie
Gear modification is the first step on the slippery slope to all-out, from scratch gear making. :butcher:
Its just a matter of time until you complete your journey to the dark side.
I'll be waiting for you by the sewing machine... I mean "thread injector".

Newanderthal

Thread Injector. Manly tool indeed.

alcohol stove, wind screen, dog tent, camping pants.

Though I didn't make it, I did design a khukuri and had it custom made for me. It's the sexiest chopping tool in the world.

oldsarge

Made this so I could carry my GPS, hiking staff and coffee while Geocaching...oh ya can't forget the cigar1

Last edited:

YogiBear

That is an awesome contraption. I am steamed up to start checking into doing some of this myself. I love making things and enjoy the challenge certain things provide.

Barney

I'm in the process of making my own ferrocerium firesteel. I want to improve existing handle and striker design. I wish I had more money to invest in it.

oldsarge

Thanks guys! It didn't take much, other than the hiking staff, a "D" cell mag light holder and some Epoxy putty. A little trial and error in adjusting the mag light holder with some heat to accomidate the GPS.

oldsarge

I made these items from an old Army VS17 signal panel for the purpose of high visability. Map case, compass cases, survival kit attacked to a Buck Night Hawk, the other knife is a copy of the "Tracker" knife designed by Tom Brown. I made several of these to put through their paces to see if I like the design before purchasing one of Tom Browns.

Last edited: