Appalachian Trail

Rain

So I have hiked on the Appalachian Trail for short hikes but I've never considered hiking the whole trail. A friend mine just got back a few months ago from hiking the entire trail with his son this summer. This sounds intriguing. Has anyone here done such a hike?

WildRover

This is something I have always wanted to do, but it's financially impossible for me to complete the trail as a thru-hike since I couldn't go 6-7 months without working. I guess if I could average 15 miles a day I could do the whole thing in under 5 months but that would be pushing it.

Still, hiking the entire trail is on my list of things to do before I die though I may have to take it a month at a time.

Grandpa

I suppose doing a long thru hike on any of the continental trails would be a real achievment, and I appreciate that a lot of people really enjoy the challenge, but racking up miles or long distance achievments is not my reason for backpacking. I have had a few 20-30 mile days with a pack but it was out of necessity rather than enjoyment and I will avoid those kind of days if I can. 10 miles in a day is more than I want anymore.

My idea of a good hike is how few miles I have to travel to get from one awesome view to the next. The very best hikes are the 3-4 miles in a day that are just so awesome that it is photo op after photo op all day long. And the best places for those kind of trips are not on thru hikes but some of the "off the grid" hikes that few people ever see.

Hector

Fox and hounds, Where have you gone on the AT? I've only done the part that runs through Shenandoah National Park. I'd like to do more but who has the time?

Fox & Hounds

Hector - I only got serious about tracking my miles in 2006. I've only officially logged @ 230 miles. Most of it in New England (some in GSMNP & the area around Mt Rogers). I've finished CT & MA and am close to half way through VT. I headed into NY because sections of trail were closed in VT when I was doing the planning.

I've been hiking on the AT since around 1969 though. It's a lot of fun to look through old photos and see the changes over the years to both gear and trail.

scarlett

I hike the AT all the time...a leg of it is only a few miles from my house and it's beautiful territory. Our church even provides a hostel for hikers on their way through our area. I have a book about the whole trail with pictures, but I've only hiked the trail near my house.

wvbreamfisherman

Planning to do a section next summer in VA betweent Pearisburg and Newcastle. I went to college in that area and have a little familiarity with the terrain there, The trail runs mostly along the ridges, but there are some steep ascents and descents. I've toyed with the notion of a thru-hike, but realistically I'd never have the time, finances, nor the drive to finish it.

Anyhow, I like doing other things to much to tie up a the best weather of a year. I'd rather work in some canoeing and kayaking, fishing and just bumming around in the outdoors.

ejdixon

I only went through one leg with a couple of my friends two years ago. Unfortunately, I can't get away from work long enough even give it a go. But it's definitely up there in my to-do list.

Refrigerator

So I have hiked on the Appalachian Trail for short hikes but I've never considered hiking the whole trail. A friend mine just got back a few months ago from hiking the entire trail with his son this summer. This sounds intriguing. Has anyone here done such a hike?
1981 North Bound...before all the hostels and very few trail angels.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
it sounds intriguing to me... after all, I can get to some NC sections with a four hour drive. The logistics of the car confuse me. So I park somewhere, hike for three days. Now Im three days away from the car. Ive also heard bad things happen to cars left in AT lots (mainly vandals). Otherwise Next fall I'd like to try a few small sections.