Bad Bannanas

mamabear

Bad Bananas

I picked up some bananas at the grocery store last week and let them ripen in my fruit bowl. Hubby ate one first and had stomach trouble afterwards. Of course I thought it was just him but after I ate one and nearly doubled over, the rest went in the garbage. What could have been wrong with those bananas?

Last edited:

CatsEye

I wouldn't know but my wife usually makes banana bread out of them at that point. But if they made you both sick, they may have been contaminated by something. I know salmonella has been rife in our country lately. Just heard about another peanut butter recall because of it.

hummingbird

Anything is possible. I would certainly do what Pathfinder1 says and report it especially since both of you got sick. You haven't heard any reports of contamination of fruit lately have you?

Cappy

When we make our nanner-nut bread Peg always wait till the nanners are way over ripe. We never had problems course we cook them. Unfortunately we wont be doing that this year. the storm broke all of our banannas that were heavy with fruit:tinysmile_cry_t4: maybe next year.

campclose

Odd for sure. I would have taken them back to the store that you bought them at. I use the old ones in bread too - never gotten sick from a banana.

Barney

Sometimes if I eat bananas on an empty stomach, especially early in the morning by default I get 5-10 minutes of stomach trouble. I don't know if just my stomach is so sensitive or what.

RuffinIt

I've never heard of bananas going bad, other than getting over-ripe. It couldn't be salmonella as that would be on the outside of the skin. There shouldn't be anything contaminating them, unless you both ate bananas that had splits in the skin.

It's possible that it was just a coincidence and the problem was something you ate earlier. Foods rarely make you sick immediately like that.

Blueskyy

I have never heard of bananas making someone sick like that. Are you sure that it wasn't something you guys had eaten earlier? Food poisoning usually takes between 12 and 24 hours to strike.