Best tent you've ever had

Johnnytarr

Whats the best tent you've ever had?

For me it was my hillaberg Akto. Strong, weather resistent, good sized vestibule, and it was up in about 2 minutes. Best of all the rain fly was attached to the inner tent so even if I was setting it up in the rain it stayed dry. Unfortunately I lost it during a house fire. I've looked around but the best price I've been able to find for a new one was $350 :(

So what is YOUR favorite?

firedancer

I've been pretty impressed with my Alps Mountaineering solo backpacking tent that I got on Steep and Cheap a few years back (I think it's the Zephyr1?). That thing has weathered a couple of major storms with me inside and the vestibule came in handy when I couldn't get to the woods one morning due to lightning and hail :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

It's pretty small so I only bring it if I absolutely don't have room for my two man REI Camp Dome tent, which I also love, love, love.

ppine

Forester
Colorado Tent and Awning Co. 10' x 14' canvas wall tent with an asbestos stove pipe hole and a sheet metal wood stove made in OR. I have had this tent for 30 years and it is in great shape. I have lived in it in all condition for up to a month at a time.

LinuxRacr

Our REI Quarter Dome T3 has been great. A year ago we added another member to our family, so I'm going to have to look into getting something a little bigger now for family trips...

[/IMG]

Last edited:

Lorax

Eureka K2 XT

Absolutely bombproof. I found myself in it for 2.5 days on the side of a mountain just above tree line to avoid limbs and trees coming down in a hurricane (Floyd) in the Whites as the eye ran the coast of Maine

70+ mph winds, 9 inches of sideways snow and another 9 inches of sideways rain. All 16 guyouts utilized and stayed as dry as a popcorn fart the whole time.

Gunny Webb

Outdoor Member
A 8 by 10 Wenzel I bought at a Military surplus store for $25. Brand new in a box, it was a Wally World return. I used it about 200 nights over a 15 year period before it was retired.

Grandpa

A $25 Texsport Knollwood, 3 lbs, 35 sq ft, big enough for all my gear and both dogs. It lasted over 200 nights over 4-5 years before the floor wore so thin You could almost see through it. I originally bought it to spell my heavier Eureka on summer backpacking trips but liked it so well, I used it exclusively during 3 seasons and used the Eureka during the winter. I bought two more of them without the same success. Although still okay, the later ones did not have the same quality. The clips on one broke easily and the other had poor stitching in a couple of places. Both have been repaired but I don't trust them unless the weather forecast is good.

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
I've had 4-5 tents over the years and my favorite backpacking tent is the REI Quarter Dome T2.

carmen

I think the day I find one I will be so happy, its almost like hit and miss finding the perfect one to fit your needs. My needs tend to change and I never mind trying out a few to get the right now but so far I have had some serious bum luck.

Eaglescout 49

After a lifetime of Boy Scout canvas tents, U.S. Army shelter halves, department store specials and one admittedly outstanding quality backpacker tent that was only slightly roomier than my sleeping bag, I finally splurged on a Big House 6 from Big Agnes. It's big enough to swing a cat in and to stand up in; I can set it up myself in just minutes, and it stands up well in a rainstorm.

Getting soft, you say? Darn right, and not ashamed to admit it.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I really can't name a "best" tent because every tent I've had (and currently own) has a different purpose.

I like every tent that I currently own, because I've weeded out any tent I didn't like. I currently have two Walrus tents, a 4 and 6 person, a LL Bean #2 dome, a two person Sierra Designs Sirius and a 1 person Mountainsmith bivy shelter.

If for some reason I had to get rid of every tent but one, I'd keep the LL Bean #2 dome. It is light enough for backpacking, plenty roomy (it can sleep 3 if you don't mind tight quarters). It's easy to set up, practically bomb proof and sheds water and wind well.