Best tents for backcountry camping

jlj

It's been years since I've hiked and camped into the backcountry. When I went, having a lightweight but durable tent was essential. I had a really nice 3 season/2 person tent from Kelty that served me well. But that was nearly 20 years ago. What are some current quality tents for backcountry?

Grandpa

There are numerous brands of hi quality tents out there. MSR's hubba and hubba hubba seem to be popular with some of my hiking buds. "Tarp Tent" (the brand name not the style) is also well represented in our groups. It depends what's available and sale prices in your area, unless you want to buy on line. If you shop on line, Campmor and Backcountry.com seem to be the best. I have bought from both with excellent results.

A lot of posters on this forum seem to do fine without a tent, but I do not like sharing my sleeping bag with a heat seeking rattlesnake so I now carry a lightweight enclosed tent.

Refrigerator

It's been years since I've hiked and camped into the backcountry. When I went, having a lightweight but durable tent was essential. I had a really nice 3 season/2 person tent from Kelty that served me well. But that was nearly 20 years ago. What are some current quality tents for backcountry?
GOOGLE Backpacking tents! Have fun.

IndianaHiker

I personally rarely every use a tent. I do carry a silicone nylon tarp to set up if I fear rain. Love the trap it and the tie outs for it weigh 1 lb.

Reggy

I've heard that MSR's Hubba are good tents. REI had a number of good tents and a great selection. For those in Canada, MEC has a great selection including a few good ones with the MEC name on it. Eureka tents are good. Being on the "Wet Coast" a tent is essential.

jlj

I have camped without a tent a few times but I have to say I like that sense of security a tent gives me (even if it is false :)

I've never heard of Hubba tents, I must be way behind the times--the brands I'm most familiar with are Marmot, NorthFace & Kelty, so I'll have to check that other brand out.

And refrig, I Googled 'Backpacking tents'...I could shop for days! Especially since I'm obsessed with gear anyway.

IndianaHiker

The hard things about tent is weight. This is way I gave up on tents. I currently do have a backpacking tent. It is a two man tent and works great. However it weighs 5.5 Lbs. Not bad considering I got it on clearance and only paid 80 bucks for it. Now that I am looking to drop weight getting a lighter tent is hard. To get a new tent and save much weight I am now talking about having to spend $300 to $500 to see any significant weight savings. Since I almost never use a tent and just sleep under the stars that is why I went with a trap for wet nights. The tarp was $120 for a 8x10 tarp (big enough for 2 people) and weights 1lb.

Here is the tarp I got.

White Lightening

Last edited:

Refrigerator

There are several 3 season tents on the market that weigh in under 3 lbs. Some are 2 lbs.

IndianaHiker, I have one of those Granite gear tarps I use for rain shelter for a group but have gone even lighter with a SpinnUL tarp that is 2 times the size.

IndianaHiker

There are several 3 season tents on the market that weigh in under 3 lbs. Some are 2 lbs.

IndianaHiker, I have one of those Granite gear tarps I use for rain shelter for a group but have gone even lighter with a SpinnUL tarp that is 2 times the size.
Those tarps are pretty cool and very light. Was looking at some but a out of price range at the moment. Hope to upgrade sometime in the future. Need to play with my Granite Gear and figure out howto close of one end. Seems that the a frame is about the only set up option with it. May purchase on of the end pieces for it yet.

Origami

Kelty still makes a very good, yet affordable tent. I personally own the Gunnison 2.1. The lightest full featured tents are probably Big Agnes, but they are pricey. If you want an American made alternative try Tarptent. You can order them online. I own the one person Moment and it's wonderful.

jlj

Wow, I must be really must be behind the times in my knowledge of camping gear. You guys are mentioning a lot of brands I haven't heard of. Unless I they've always been around but I just never knew about them. Thanks! I'll check them all out, including the tarps. You can never have enough of those.

FreshAirLover

The best solution is to do some research online. In order to make the right choice in a backcountry tent you need to consider its intended use (including potential worst-case scenarios), budget, and plain old-fashioned horse sense. Take these aspects into consideration! The choices can seem endless, but in the end, the perfect tent for you is out there.

Sophia

It is probably best to go into the store and check the quality of the tents, and compare them to others. I think it is better to be able to see and feel them.