Bungee Jumping

campershell

The previous thread about cliff jumping reminded me about bungee jumping. It looks like a thrilling experience, like flying down without a parachute. Can anyone share their experiences in bungee jumping?

IndianaHiker

You fall and you bounce back up. Sorry couldn't help myself. I have done it several times but the best thing to do is, Just do it as Nike would say.

Regina

Well this is something that I have never done and I'm not so sure that I would. Guess I'm just not that brave. Although I did go para sailing in Mexico one time. Does that count? :)

ejdixon

Haven't really gotten the nerve to do that...yet. I got this thing about heights, especially when it comes to looking over a rather high place. Hopefully, someday. :D

CampingFamily

No I haven't got any experience to share as to bungee jumping. I've never tried it. I would like to one day though if I can get past the idea of jumping into 'nothing' like that. Maybe one day.

Grandpa

Closest experience I have concerns a co-worker who tried it once. He made the mistake of (in the midst of a panic attack) grabbing the slack in the cord on the up bounce. WRONG, when he started back down again that slack snapped up so fast it broke his wrist, or at least some bone in it.

wvbreamfisherman

Interesting story about two guys that hit a modest Lotto win. They decided to quit their jobs and go down to Mexico and set up a bungee jump. So they get all their permits and set up the tower and cords and decide to try it out.

They want some publicity, so they put the word out in town to come out to see something fun.

Eventually a nice crowd gathers around, and one of the guys hooks himself upp to the cord and jumps off. he makes a nice long bounce and then a shorter one and a shorter one. Eventually, his buddy pulls him up and he's just beaten all to Hell. Bruised and bloodied all around the head and shoulders.

His buddy says "My God - what happened to you? is the cord too short?" The other guy can barely talk, but he shakes his head and whispers "No the cord is fine....but what in Hell is a Pinata?" ;-)

Grandpa

Interesting story about two guys that hit a modest Lotto win. They decided to quit their jobs and go down to Mexico and set up a bungee jump. So they get all their permits and set up the tower and cords and decide to try it out.

They want some publicity, so they put the word out in town to come out to see something fun.

Eventually a nice crowd gathers around, and one of the guys hooks himself upp to the cord and jumps off. he makes a nice long bounce and then a shorter one and a shorter one. Eventually, his buddy pulls him up and he's just beaten all to Hell. Bruised and bloodied all around the head and shoulders.

His buddy says "My God - what happened to you? is the cord too short?" The other guy can barely talk, but he shakes his head and whispers "No the cord is fine....but what in Hell is a Pinata?" ;-)
Hillarious

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Vanuatu is the home of the original bungy jumpers...who, for who knows how long...the men have an annual ritual of jumping from to the ground from a tall tree, "anchored" by vines from the top of the tree, and tied to their feet. Most of the jumpers live.

Feb. 15 is John Frumm day on this island in the tiny island nation of Vanuatu, which is north of New Zealand.

Legend has it that some day a man from America named John Frumm (John from America) will decend on the island and shower them with gifts from America, hence the John Frumm cult, which is widely celebrated.

A good friend of mine...John R. ...was flying from NZ to Vanuatu in a three-engine prop plane, when the plane started to run out of gas. No landing spot could be found, and the pilot advised passengers to get into the crash position. Everyone did...except for John...who spotted a grassy field where the pilot could crash land.

All got out safely (I have a picture of the plane and passengers on my office wall), and many locals rushed to the site to see if they could offer assistance.

When the Natives found out that one of the passengers was named John...AND came from America...the local chief declared that day a holiday, and the passengers...and especially John...were treated like royalty...!!