Camera Safety

FastTrack

I have a DSLR that I like to carry with me when I'm hiking. It's a Canon Rebel, and I have some decent lenses-so it makes it an expensive kit.

How could I protect it from falls (if I fell)? I keep it in a Lowpro DSLR case that is form fitted, but it doesn't seem enough if it fell from neck height onto a rock. What case do you use?

Chilly

Lowpro make a wide range of cases-isn't there one that has some kind of internal support? A rigid, but padded case perhaps?

Of course this won't help if you fall on top of the case, all that much. You might want to consider getting a decent bridge camera instead, and save the heartache.

campclose

Perhaps you can wrap it in a towel or something before putting it in your backpack. If you are carrying it then there really is not anything you can do beside don't fall!

ChadTower

I would probably build my own rigid case. Use a marine container and cut yourself a foam insert to fit the equipment. That way you're protected against water too.

BigBackyard

Canon does its own range of semi rigid cases too if you want something with protection. I believe the Canon EH 19-L fits the Canon Rebel. It is a bit more sturdy than most.