Campfire...

Northern Dancer

In the West we build small fires, because large ones make everyone nervous.
-----> Large fires make people nervous here too especially with the advent of so many forest fires. I wanted to assure people there was a loaded hose nearby, and after the initial flame settled down, there was a nice even burn.

Last edited:

Northern Dancer

I prefer a small fire myself. Less work cutting up all that firewood.View attachment 4207
It doesn't take much to roast a marshmallow.
-----> Yes, of course. There is nothing like a flattering flaming marshmallow. It beats smores [Apologies to the Girl Guides.] On occasion, they have burned my lips and left a sweet residue on my tongue.

Roybrew

When you've had enough of your little brother, you can always sling a flaming marshmallow at him.
Cutting up some firewood for next week camping trip.IMG_20230913_152845024.jpg
Most all of it is pine. It'll burn nicely, but I wouldn't want to cook over it. Need to get me some hardwood.
Roy

Attachments

ppine

Forester
Nothing wrong with pine to cook on. It starts fast. Hardwood takes longer to get to coals.
I would not cook food directly on any kind of conifer wood because it affects the taste.

Northern Dancer

There are so many ways of cooking over a fire and so many fire structures and wood types that will accommodate the same. If I'm by myself, a fire about the size of my hand will do just fine. Twigs and sticks from the forest floor do nicely. Something bigger? Like a cast iron fry pan that can cook three meals at a time? Well, as we know, it's all according to our different needs and wants. It took me a while to appreciate I didn't need a forest fire to cook a hot dog and a lot less to simply boil one.

I think I've used every kind of fire imaginable. From an underground fire to cook fish at a fish fry, to tin foil dinners that need hot coals, to corn on the cob, dressed potatoes, roast chicken, and so on. You learn how to make pizza [without the expensive due dad] and twirl bannock around a stick, hang a roast or use the Dutch oven. It's called a "cooking" fire.

But the campfire? It's built just for the wonder, magic, and the thrill of the same.

Roybrew

I'm out of room in my truck or I would throw mine in. I'm not even going to mention how much "Stuff" I've loaded in the truck this evening.

I'm not planning on cooking on this trip. Put it on a stick and shish kabob it.
Roy

Northern Dancer

View attachment 4226
Good vanilla root beer and nice campfire. Need to do this more often.
Roy
=====> How true; campfires are always nice. I've never had a Frostie vanilla root beer. The closest would be a Wendy's Frostie ice cream. I think that bottle could become a collector's item up here. Is that a local product? Anyway, I often say "I've got to do this more often", but life seems to have a habit of interfering. Enjoy.

Roybrew

IMG_20230921_195816676.jpgSun has set. Local store has this brand of root beer You want me to mail you the bottle.
Cheers

Roybrew

There's something about a real fire. Watching the wood disappear to glowing embers. Hearing the crackle, pops and hiss as the flame and heat does something to the wood. Much better then a gas fireplace.

I just scrounged around and found some sycamore driftwood. Burns bright and hot. Red cedar makes great campfire wood also. Smells good too.
Roy

ppine

Forester
I have a campsite in my backyard. It is very quiet with great views. Time to build a fire, watch the moon rise and cook some food in a Dutch OVen. This week I am making spaghetti with a salad and garlic bread.