Camping Essentials

SuperFish

What would you guys consider essential to a camping trip? I am talking about things like a lighter, a swiss army knife or even a stereo!

Michael

How essential is essential? Are we talking the bare minimum to survive an overnight in comfortable weather? The minimum that you need to be comfortable on a chilly night? Essential to feeling safe and well provisioned?

faye

A first aid kit, Swiss knife and rations like food are always on my list. Other things like hygiene stuff and sleeping essentials are also included.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
Shelter, water, fire, food, first aid - these are the basic survival needs regardless of situation, so whatever tools best help you meet these needs is what you should have on hand.

Shelter - could be anything from a simple tarp or hammock setup right up to a multi-room tent - have some cordage on hand for binding, fastening, and lashing

Water - either bring your own or have a means of purifying water you collect, and make sure you have a vessel capable of boiling it in

Fire - have at least 3 different means of lighting a fire and the tools needed to process wood - axe, hatchet, knife, saw etc.

Food - no explanation needed, you'll need a means to prepare it

First aid - always have a decent kit on hand and know how to use it.

Comforts - this can be lighting, pastime items, music, camera etc.

woodsman

Depending on the time, weather and place it differs, but I always have worm clothes with me, a knife (you never know what you'll need it for) and a means to start a fire, freezing to death is not my idea of a good trip.

OpenFire

I always have a knife as well, and also my mobile phone. I use my phone for radio, music and a camera mainly and have it in 'offline' mode.

jdoc260

Some means of shelter whether it be a tent or a rope & tarp, fire starting device, cell phones are useless in the middle of the mountains most of the time, a camera can be nice for sharing the memories, food or a means to acquire food, a knife, and I tote a small hatchet around with me that doubles as a hammer if needed. Paracord or other small rope is great to have. I even have a small hand full of 16D nails that have proven themselves useful. A water bottle and a means to purify the water if need be. And if you spend any time hiking while enjoying the great outdoors, MORE THAN ONE PAIR OF SOCKS.

evergreen

Well most essential is a tent in my opinion, I'm not that found of waking up in the middle of the night taking a natural shower, something to start fire with and a knife. With those three you have what you need to get along in the wild.

bokz

The things that are essential: matches, knife, some shelter and food. Clothing is also included, it's better to bring some warm clothes just in case the climate goes cold.